T-Studs, new method of framing minimizing thermal bridging

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
This product looks very interesting. With an insulation value of R20 instead of thermal bridging and a great increase in load handling the small increase in price should easily be offset by the gains.

Last edited:
The dollar savings in less energy used should offset any additional costs of the product.

I made my comment before the end. The price difference comes out to pennies on the dollar. Amazing. I'm actually pretty salty I hadn't seen this before we bought our house!

Not to mention the savings for what should be faster electrical and mechanicals going in, though I'm not sure that would get passed on to the homeowner.

Reactions: Ashful
Can achieve the same effect just staggering the 2x4s .Use a 2x6 plate and 2x4s along the outside and also staggered along the inside leaving a continuous void in the middle for wiring and blown insulation.

The problem with staggered studs is the siding tends to telegraph the span anything over 16" on center. It may meet code but looks cheap in my opinion. Unless someone does an expensive full foam job or a proper flash and bat, I think the potential for thermal leaks through fiberglass or cellulose is still high with a stud type wall. If going with full foam job why not go with stress skin?.

I am far more of fan of stress skin construction for new or my renovation approach which is put 1/2" of isoboard under the dry wall. Its quite noticeable how the cold spots from the studs thermal bridging is minimized with 1/2 inch of foil faced foam on top of them. The last reno I did was flash and bat with 1/2" of iso foam under the drywall. I haven't had an IR camera to check it but take half the baseboard out of that room wit no noticeable effect.

You can use 16 or 24in centers with staggered studs. The method im talking about is essentially a double wall ,you using more studs, not less. What your staggering is the stud placement between the outside wall and the inside. But yea i like a 1 in sheet of foam in addition to the wall insulation more than any of these alternate stud plans. With just dense pack cellulose in the wall and ceiling i was able to eliminate all the baseboard in a large 8 by 9ft bathroom. Room stays same temp as the rest of the house. I put a switched 500 watt infrared heater in the ceiling just to bring it up above the house temp when the shower is in use.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceBus
You can use 16 or 24in centers with staggered studs. The method im talking about is essentially a double wall ,you using more studs, not less. What your staggering is the stud placement between the outside wall and the inside. But yea i like a 1 in sheet of foam in addition to the wall insulation more than any of these alternate stud plans. With just dense pack cellulose in the wall and ceiling i was able to eliminate all the baseboard in a large 8 by 9ft bathroom. Room stays same temp as the rest of the house. I put a switched 500 watt infrared heater in the ceiling just to bring it up above the house temp when the shower is in use.

What's the average price for 1" foam boards? Is this a polyiso or polystyrene type? I'm trying to learn as much as I can about this stuff before we do the inside of our house.

Can achieve the same effect just staggering the 2x4s .Use a 2x6 plate and 2x4s along the outside and also staggered along the inside leaving a continuous void in the middle for wiring and blown insulation.
Yes, that is how my BILs house is built, but this T-Stud process is less labor and materials intensive and evidently stronger too.

Last edited:
What's the average price for 1" foam boards? Is this a polyiso or polystyrene type? I'm trying to learn as much as I can about this stuff before we do the inside of our house.
The best value where im at is the 1in.DOW pink foam 1/2 is $15, 3/4 is $17 and one inch is $20 a sheet. From there it goes way up for 1.5 inch at $32 a sheet. Best if its installed on the outside but it can be installed on the inside. I normally dont do this as the dense pack cellose alone is very effective. If i were using fibreglass batts(which i dont use) i would definitely consider additional insulation.

Last edited:
The best value where im at is the 1in.DOW pink foam 1/2 is $15, 3/4 is $17 and one inch is $20 a sheet. From there it goes way up for 1.5 inch at $32 a sheet. Best if its installed on the outside but it can be installed on the inside. I normally dont do this as the dense pack cellose alone is very effective. If i were using fibreglass batts(which i dont use) i would definitely consider additional insulation.

We are using Rockwool Batts for the cavities. In a different thread we considered using the mass loaded vinyl, but we've since changed our minds. Exterior foam is not really an option for us. We no longer trust it as we had a massive carpenter ant infestation in the foam and house. Thanks for the heads up, I'll see if I can find any locally.

I believe the DOW 1 inch is 6.5R.

I am far more of fan of stress skin construction for new or my renovation approach which is put 1/2" of isoboard under the dry wall. Its quite noticeable how the cold spots from the studs thermal bridging is minimized with 1/2 inch of foil faced foam on top of them. The last reno I did was flash and bat with 1/2" of iso foam under the drywall. I haven't had an IR camera to check it but take half the baseboard out of that room wit no noticeable effect.

Is there something more to this than just screwing the foam to the studs and then topping over with drywall? I would have thought that the insulation board behind the drywall would not be a strong enough base if someone were to lean up against it or something.

I would have thought that the insulation board behind the drywall would not be a strong enough base if someone were to lean up against it or something.
I dont think it would make any difference at all. I cant see the foam collapsing under the drywall. Plus the Foam board fasteners are right under the drywall as well.

Its pretty simple. The biggest hassle is the electrical boxes. You can either use standard boxes and space them out from the wall to account for the extra thickness or you can buy box extenders that screw onto the face of the box. I use 1/2" foil faced isoboard which is pretty dense and the foil tends to spread point loads out plus the dry wall works pretty well to spread the load. I use 1/2 drywall, I dont know if 3/8" is still made but would suggest 1/2" is better choice. I use a couple of roofing nails to hold the iso board up, then tape all the seams and breaks in the foils with foil tape then use long drywall screws with a dry wall screw gunto hold the dry wall up. I did my office (bedroom) exterior walls and have had a couple of nail pops and my living room wall with no nail pops. Its been 10 years and I dont see a lot of difference between the new walls and the old walls with respect to nail pops.

Its pretty simple. The biggest hassle is the electrical boxes. You can either use standard boxes and space them out from the wall to account for the extra thickness or you can buy box extenders that screw onto the face of the box. I use 1/2" foil faced isoboard which is pretty dense and the foil tends to spread point loads out plus the dry wall works .
I use adjustable electric boxes. They have depth adjusting screws right in the face,can adjust out an extra inch at least. Yes always use at least 1/2 in drywall. 5/8 is stronger and is Fire Rated as well but very heavy. 3/8 is only for use over a solid material like plaster walls IMO. They make special nails with large washer for fastening foam board. You can buy these where you get the board.

I find insulating issues a fascinating subject when it comes to construction. I have always been amazed at how little energy it takes to keep a well insulated space comfortable.I have personally witnessed a ranch house with a full underground basement stay above freezing with no additional heat over the worst 2 months of winter in central PA. With single digit temps outside,just from the 50 deg. ground heat coming from the (uninsulated)basement floor and walls. If the basement walls were insulated in this case the house would probably have frozen water pipes.

Last edited:
I use adjustable electric boxes. They have depth adjusting screws right in the face,can adjust out an extra inch at least. Yes always use at least 1/2 in drywall. 5/8 is stronger and is Fire Rated as well but very heavy. 3/8 is only for use over a solid material like plaster walls IMO. They make special nails with large washer for fastening foam board. You can buy these where you get the board.
Thanks for this tip! I'm looking into replacing the majority of my outlets and boxes soon. Any tips on exterior outlet boxes? I just removed one that was spliced into a kitchen outlet.

I'm trying to talk my wife into using the pink or blue foam inside the house, but we do not want drywall. Will the foam work well with wood tongue and groove or board and batten? We plan on finishing the inside of our house as if gets too cold to work outside. Before then we are filling our cavities with rock wool but haven't made up our minds on what to do next.

I dont think foam can be installed inside a living space without dry wall on top of it, if there is a fire the foam puts out toxic smoke.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
I dont think foam can be installed inside a living space without dry wall on top of it, if there is a fire the foam puts out toxic smoke.
Well, I guess that answers the question then. Is there anything else we can do besides insulate the stud cavities?

Well, I guess that answers the question then. Is there anything else we can do besides insulate the stud cavities?
Are your stud cavities 5.5 in or 3.5in ? If 3.5 you may need something more get to the required wall R value. May need at least R30 walls or more in Maine .Even a 6in stud walls plus one inch of foam is only roughly R29 since rock wool is about R23.

Last edited:
It just needs to be covered not nessecarily with drywall.