T-5 performance update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Point being the key to making these stoves work to their ability has nothing to do with house construction. The flue location however, could have a lot to do with it."
I think a good tight house has everthing to do with it and as far as MY flue goes there aint a thing wrong with it now, it would be fun to try a different stove.

There are thousands of these stoves installed in every imaginable situation. A couple years back, we had a couple in Wyoming whose house was so leaky they were heating 900 sq ft with a T6.

BeGreen said:
There are thousands of these stoves installed in every imaginable situation. A couple years back, we had a couple in Wyoming whose house was so leaky they were heating 900 sq ft with a T6.
Is that the guy who took out the 30 and put in the T6?

I will start a new post I think as I have a few more observations but it does not work like many others but it does heat the house.

The Condar stovetop thermometers show temps above 650 as overfire so I can't understand why people expect or want to run their stoves above that temp on purpose.. I understand people are trying to get more heat from their stoves but to me it's like driving your car at redline you can do it but not for a long period of time.. In my mind you need a bigger stove or 2 stoves to maintain the heat you need in your home..

Ray

raybonz said:
The Condar stovetop thermometers show temps above 650 as overfire so I can't understand why people expect or want to run their stoves above that temp on purpose.. I understand people are trying to get more heat from their stoves but to me it's like driving your car at redline you can do it but for a long period of time.. In my mind you need a bigger stove or 2 stoves to maintain the heat you need in your home..

Ray
If you have read through the many posts on here about the PE stoves you would find where some have called PE and they said 800 was fine just dont make it a habit to run there so running a PE stove at 700 or so seems like a reasonable thing to do.
I usually turn the fan on mine between 500 to 600 depending on the conditions and how much time I have so I rarely even see 650.

oldspark said:
BeGreen said:

Yes, moosetrek I think.

BeGreen said:
oldspark said:
BeGreen said:

Yes, moosetrek I think.
Well the 30 was too much and he struggled with the T6 for a while if I remember right.

In both cases the issue was not really the stove.

BeGreen said:
In both cases the issue was not really the stove.
The house had some leaky windows correct, but nothing changed between the 30 and the T6 but he had more problems with keeping the house warm with the T6. Did he find something that made the problem go away?

The 30NC was too hot close by when they got it stoked, it's a more radiant stove than the T6. Most PE stoves are fully jacketed. The T6 puts out about the same amount of heat, but the cast iron jacket buffers it. They were running the T6 at 800F and complaining. Again, it was not the stove.

BeGreen said:
The 30NC was too hot close by when they got it stoked, it's a more radiant stove than the T6. The T6 puts out about the same amount of heat, but the cast iron jacket buffers it. They were running the T6 at 800F and complaining. Again, it was not the stove.
Yea I get that but not sure what you are saying, one's perception is reality in practice, guy thinks he's cold he probably is.

The perception was positive. No stove is going to fix a seriously leaky house. That is a separate issue entirely:

1. As hoped for, the heat is so much softer in our small house than the steel stove.
2. It burns more efficiently at lower temps than the Englander
3. Glass is cleaner (see #2, I think it has a more even air inlet, and seems more inclined to burn at a lower air level than smolder as the Englander did
4. Longer burns; plenty of coals left on a smaller load when we come home after work.
5. Door is on the wrong side (even though we ordered it like the Englander)
6. OAK a B!t@# to hook up after the stove is in place - at least the Englader had a simple 3†pipe out the back, this one is 4†out the bottom.
7. Pretty to look at.
8. Love the stove.
9. Wife loves the stove
10. Love the wife.

"We liked the warmth of the big Englander, but it would cook us out of the living room when loaded for the night. That and the wife really likes the look of the cast iron shell on the T6… Need I say more? "

Ok, for some reason I thought he was complaing about the lack of heat and he was wondering if he needed a fan or not. I knew the windows were a problem, still think the house is a major factor in getting these stoves to work correctly. The old days you just bought a BAW (big ass woodburner) and stayed ahead of the leaky house, now its a little different. Once I get my house like I want it I will probably have to buy a smaller stove. :cheese:

raybonz said:
Oldhippie said:
Great to hear Ray, the T5 is still at the top of my short list.

...although I will admit to planning a Factory Tour of the Woodstock facility in Lebanon, (their stoves have caught my interest too) with a stop-over to my waitress girlfriends at the 4Aces Diner and then a courtesy visit to the Harley dealer up there as they're good folks too.

I went to Woodstock for their cookout this year.. You will like it and their stoves are well made.. Lots of great knowledgeable, friendly people there that love what they do.. My wife prefers cast iron and I prefer convection heat.. I was concerned that a secondary burn stove wouldn't be as efficient as a cat stove but those concerns have been laid to rest.. I also find this stove can provide fast heat very well too..

Good luck!

Ray

This is good to hear as The super 27 being the same box.

oldspark said:
Ok, for some reason I thought he was complaing about the lack of heat and he was wondering if he needed a fan or not. I knew the windows were a problem, still think the house is a major factor in getting these stoves to work correctly. The old days you just bought a BAW (big ass woodburner) and stayed ahead of the leaky house, now its a little different. Once I get my house like I want it I will probably have to buy a smaller stove. :cheese:

If I recall moosetrek lived at altitude in the rockies. Radiant stoves might be perceived as warmer in a cabin vs a home???

Status
Not open for further replies.