Swapped out IS for Fireview, and it’s looking good!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KennyK

Feeling the Heat
Oct 26, 2011
Boston
I’ve had a long stove saga, including getting an Ideal Steel, realizing that while an amazing stove it was simply too big for the room and the wrong esthetics for my home (physically too big - you can really dial it in, so heat-wise it wasn’t overpowering), taking Woodstock up on their six month buyback guarantee, buying a used Fireview, having Woodstock refurb the used Fireview and now getting the Fireview set up in my home! Well, I don’t think I could have done it all without the good folks on this site and the good people Woodstock who were exceptional the whole time - even though I felt like a bit of a numbskull returning a stove from them, they were nothing but gracious the whole time, wanting me to get the right thing for me. Well, I haven’t lit the Fireview yet, but got it in place, and feeling pretty darn good about it! Looks much better in my 1890s home than the IS, takes up less space, and with the shorter hearth requirements in front, I got my dining room back as I no longer have a giant hearth pad bumping into our dining table! Here are some pics (and even without a fire going yet the cat is digging it!)!
E30A6F6E-0861-4A26-A75A-BE01D76C4FA4.jpegEB32C386-19A1-419D-9959-676A73E6B036.jpegCA19627A-8FD6-4368-990B-82BC0BACC626.jpeg79AB1313-32D2-487A-9A33-810345440033.jpeg

Attachments

• Swapped out IS for Fireview, and it’s looking good!
    2648EFDE-CE86-4D0D-AE96-8FC87E0F2F7B.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 147
  • Swapped out IS for Fireview, and it’s looking good!
    0202B7DF-9BD3-4334-A593-53C93C0E4646.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 151
Reactions: Highbeam
It does look nice in that space! Any pictures of the IS there? I am wanting an IS and the factory is a long ways away so can’t go see one.
Keep us updated on how it performs compared to the IS.

It does look nice in that space! Any pictures of the IS there? I am wanting an IS and the factory is a long ways away so can’t go see one.
Keep us updated on how it performs compared to the IS.
Yup! Here are some photos. I had some custom art done on it and was excited for it, but the esthetic contrast that I thought would work for me in my home didn’t so much (in my opinion) and it was just too darn big esthetically for the room, seemed really out of place and took up too much space for the size of the room. Note in the photos that I now have a little more hearth pad on the sides of the stove, but a lot less in front of it (about 18 inches less in front, and 8 inches more to either side of the stove, which doesn’t impact the living space in the same way). I decided I was fine without trying to get a stove that would heat my whole home 24/7 and rather would just use a stove to keep the first floor warm, offset the gas bill, and for enjoyment. The IS did a wonderful job, heating the house well while not overpowering the stove room. I’m happy to offer any input I can.

363B7BFA-520E-42AC-9D47-73485AA884BB.jpeg064B1015-9878-4371-811A-9FFA5AAC4560.jpeg6F6B8F34-6099-4A74-A851-BAB4B9444C03.jpeg

That looks a lot better. It's visually much more in keeping with the home. Even if they gave me an IS it wouldn't fit in our home. The steampunk look has a limited appeal.

That looks a lot better. It's visually much more in keeping with the home. Even if they gave me an IS it wouldn't fit in our home. The steampunk look has a limited appeal.
I agree. An IS would fit right at home in my garage, not so much in most homes.