Summer weather was not the problem here.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hickoryhoarder

Minister of Fire
Apr 5, 2013
Indiana
Hundreds of trees came down in our small city last week, unfortunately. One was a native black cherry in a friend's yard. I normally split nothing in the summer, but along came a morning of 58 degrees, and we did not sweat. But don't be deceived -- hardest work I've ever done splitting.

The photo shows 90 minutes of splitting work, starting with big rounds (16" long). Should normally be 30 minutes work. The tree had been alive, so green as anything (lots of water). And the grain varied from a bit twisted to major twisted.

The easiest wood to split is seasoned cherry without twisted grain, so I was telling my friend, "Oh, that should go easy...."

On some rounds we had to use the wedge many times -- on the round, on the halves, on the quarters...

People over 55 do not attempt this, unless somehow you still have great shoulders and elbows. I'm 70, and will not work with both a twisted grain and green wood again. (Split with a maul, wedge, and sledge.)

cherrywooddeArmandoyNelli.jpg

Last edited: