successfull donor installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Corie said:
You guys sounds like "Ask This Old House"
when you're looking at the creosote! LMAO!

Lol. That's probably because of the unmistakable Boston accents.

Looks like a great job. That family is lucky to get this.

Sorry we missed it, but Elk and I couldn't quite get connected to figure out when, where and how to meet up... Not his fault, the GF and I went to a concert Friday evening and I was out most of the day, so we really didn't have a time to chat.

Wasn't a totally wasted day for me though, I ended up renting a high-weed mower / walk behind bush-hog and I spent most of the day clearing out some of the parts of the land that had gotten badly overgrown, both in our yard and the neighbors (who picked up the rental fee for me :coolsmile: ). I encountered a lot of very resistant intelligent vegetation that kept trying to stop me! :bug: I had 2-3 times when it reached out and pulled the wire off the spark plug, another time it disconnected the wires on the ignition switch, and a couple of times it tried just shutting the throttle off... Didn't do the plants any good, I just fixed the machine, fired it back up and ran their weedy little buts over anyway! :vampire:

I figure that I'll plant wild flowers on some of the cleared area to give the bees more forage, and maybe put in some berry bushes on other bits for more mead ingredients. The rest I just wanted to clear so that I'd have better access to it. I did leave some of the healthier looking saplings to grow up w/o competition to replace the larger trees as they come down.

Had one type that I mowed a bunch of down that I'm pretty sure was a "junk" tree - smooth grey bark, white sapwood, and a caramel yellow-brown colored heart - any idea what it might be?

After I got done with the mower, I figured that I'd gone over the 4-hour rate, so I took my time getting it back and dismantled the leaky bathroom faucet so I'd have samples when I returned the machine to the local hardware store, picked up the parts and rebuilt both faucets so that I no longer have leaks...

Gooserider

I forgot to post the results.... BTW, thanks, GVA for the biobricks. I burned them 2 nights last week. Had a nice bed of coals in the botton, and stacked them in. They took off pretty quickly, and kept the stove in the regular burning temps that I've gotten with wood. They burned down completely, with very little ash, and lasted pretty well through the night.

Overall, I'd have to say I was impressed. They seem to be a pretty good alternative for someone who might not have access to wood, or burning in a more urban setting.

One thing I noticed, is that there was not a lot of secondary burn activity, even at the temps where cordwood would have the secondary burn. Still, there was no smoke visible from the stack. Does this mean they burn cleaner than cordwood from the get-go? I'm not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.