Success Story on Wood Burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this is the first year burning my Regency R14 insert and I can't believe the savings as well as how warm the house is. I have been burning for about a month now and just got the heating bill which was less than half of last years (all electric heat). It is actually the lowest bill we have had all year even in spring and fall when we are not using the air conditioning. My wife was unsure at first about this but now loves it.......a house 15 degrees warmer than last year 24 hours a day and not a hint of smell of wood burning plus no heating bill this year. My downstairs hit close to 80, upstairs is around 72 and the bedrooms around 65 with an outside temp of 27 degrees last night. I want to thank you all for your help and input, BRING ON the cold i say while everyone at work is dreading the heating bills this year. I can't understand for the life of me why people don't take advantage of heating with wood. Sure its work but exercise is good and it keeps me busy, best investment I have ever made.

Hummer, it sounds like you have it nailed down! Cutting down those high heating bills is sweet and you are right about the exercise too. Take pride too in having some big wood piles. Get 2-3 years ahead on your wood supply and it will be super sweet. You burn less wood and have fewer problems.

HummerBeachBuggy1982 said:
Well this is the first year burning my Regency R14 insert and I can't believe the savings as well as how warm the house is. I have been burning for about a month now and just got the heating bill which was less than half of last years (all electric heat). It is actually the lowest bill we have had all year even in spring and fall when we are not using the air conditioning. My wife was unsure at first about this but now loves it.......a house 15 degrees warmer than last year 24 hours a day and not a hint of smell of wood burning plus no heating bill this year. My downstairs hit close to 80, upstairs is around 72 and the bedrooms around 65 with an outside temp of 27 degrees last night. I want to thank you all for your help and input, BRING ON the cold i say while everyone at work is dreading the heating bills this year. I can't understand for the life of me why people don't take advantage of heating with wood. Sure its work but exercise is good and it keeps me busy, best investment I have ever made.

Congratulations, I'm with you on the savings, we use to heat with oil but the last delivery was Jan 2009 and we still have 3/4's of a tank.

zap

Sounds like you are off to a great start....Enjoy the warmth and savings this winter.

You said, "............and not a hint of smell of wood burning."

Personally, for me........I LOVE the smell of the wood burning. No wonder I volunteer to be the one who mostly adds more wood!! I can carry the smell with me wherever I go, like a cologne!!

The "smell" of the wood stove was one of those memories that I cherished most of all, in my earlier days before I had one of my own. I used to have certain homes that especially liked to visit, just because of the smell..........

When we would go camping, I used to intentionally park the truck facing the fire, because the smoke would flow over and park itself on my vehicles radiator, and I could smell the wood fire smell months later, long after "vacation" was over.

-Soupy1957

Oh I love the smell of wood, laying in my man-cave watching the big screen television overlooking my mounted animals with my German Short-haired Pointer by my feet, my wife is pregnant so that is why she was worried about smelling it. I love it, I live in a development and my neighbors keep telling me how nice the neighborhood smells because of me. This has become one more hobby..........or obsession you pick and I enjoy burning wood greatly.

You said, "my wife is pregnant so that is why she was worried about smelling it."

First of all, congrats on the rug-rat in the oven!! I don't think there is much real danger of creosote build up in HER pipes!

-Soupy1957

Happiness is a warm house . . . and more money in the bank.

HummerBeachBuggy1982 said:
I live in a development and my neighbors keep telling me how nice the neighborhood smells because of me.

I get just the opposite from my neighbors, maybe I should shower more.
Congrats on the one on the way. Your GSP is not gonna like being bumped down on the depth chart!

I still have a credit with the gas company, a few months with no bill is nice.
Processing fire wood, seasoning it, burning it & then looking at a full woodshed is good for your health & soul :)
Oh Yea, wallet too ;)

It's a great feeling. There is no way we could keep our house as warm as we do and not go broke in the process. Wood works!

I know it is still shoulder season but, this morning it was 26* when I got up. Before I left for work, I stuck about 4 medium sized splits in the stove, got it to cruise mode and left for the day at 6am.
It was supposed to get to around 50* today(did not quite make it). I returned home at 3pm, blower on the insert was still running(it is set on auto) stove was still warm and it was 74 in the house.
I know the furnace (NG) would have ran many times during the course of the day, but just those 4 splits kept her off all day (= money in my pocket, not the utility company's)
I have better wood this year and I am expecting (hoping) to use less wood than last year as a result (2nd year of burning wood). The colder it gets, the better the savings!

Great thread!

I think sometimes in the shoulder I might be better off running the heat pump.
But I can't bring my self to do it..hate to hear the blower for one thing..but the main thing I love the stove going..homey you might say.
It's the ambiance silly!

HotCoals said:
Great thread!

I think sometimes in the shoulder I might be better off running the heat pump.
But I can't bring my self to do it..hate to hear the blower for one thing..but the main thing I love the stove going..homey you might say.
It's the ambiance silly!

Same here. Ever since I had the insert installed last Dec., the sound of the furnace running makes me cringe. But I have come to terms that I'd rather run the furnace a little in the shoulder season, than to burn up the wood I will need for when it gets really cold. Typically, the NG prices are still in the summer price range this time of year anyway, so they are not so bad.

egclassic said:
I know it is still shoulder season but, this morning it was 26* when I got up. Before I left for work, I stuck about 4 medium sized splits in the stove, got it to cruise mode and left for the day at 6am.
It was supposed to get to around 50* today(did not quite make it). I returned home at 3pm, blower on the insert was still running(it is set on auto) stove was still warm and it was 74 in the house.
I know the furnace (NG) would have ran many times during the course of the day, but just those 4 splits kept her off all day (= money in my pocket, not the utility company's)
I have better wood this year and I am expecting (hoping) to use less wood than last year as a result (2nd year of burning wood). The colder it gets, the better the savings!

Shoulder season for some :)
-10°f last night here.

Status
Not open for further replies.