Stove too big?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

strongarm

Hearth Supporter
Nov 7, 2008
southeastern ma
I have been looking to replace my Jotul 8 cat stove from 1994. It is in a second home that gets used on weekends. The house is small, 1100 or so sqft. I’m looking for a decent used non catalytic unit, as well as decent looking. Most of the stoves I have found are designed for 2000 sqft houses or bigger.
My question is if I have the clearance for a bigger stove, should I get one? Is there any disadvantages, other than making it too hot in the house if loaded up too much?
I passed on a really nice soapstone stove due to it’s heating ability.

Is the house heated when you walk in during the winter? If so, I’d get an appropriate sized stove. If not, go bigger.

I would think a medium sized stove should be fine. If you were in northern Maine I’d say go big, but southeast mass mid- size should be fine.

10F isn’t bad. I’d keep the same size stove. Bump the regular heat. Too much stove and you’re going to hate lighting it.

Reactions: strongarm
I would think a medium sized stove should be fine. If you were in northern Maine I’d say go big, but southeast mass mid- size should be fine.
My apologies, the location is in the Mount Washington valley in New Hampshire. The house is a chalet with cathedral ceilings.

Look at 1.5 to 2 cu ft stoves. The Drolet Nano is a good stove and reasonably priced for $999. If more muscle is desired for faster heating then the Century Heating FW3200 Wood Stove - CB00023 sells for about $1,200.

The problem with faster heating, is the stove doesn’t shut off once the ideal temperature is achieved, lol. 20F increase is good for the first hour, 1.5 hours, the next 7 aren’t going to be enjoyable though! 1.5 to 2 cu ft would do it. I wouldn’t go larger! If the house wasn’t at 40 at walk-in, I’d go larger to heat the thermal mass in a reasonable amount of time.

My apologies, the location is in the Mount Washington valley in New Hampshire. The house is a chalet with cathedral ceilings.
It’s tough to know the exact way to go. Like others have said a medium sized stove will probably be good. a cold snap up there you may be a bit chilly, but overheating your place stinks too. Medium should be good.

A good plan when visiting the cabin is to do an initial large fire to raise the temp of the mass of the bldg and its contents 30º, then do half-loads for more moderate heat.