Stove suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Seller also says stove is 25 years old. They use to use it more but now just use it for pleasure when it's cold outside. He says he's at the age where he's sick of the wood, smoke, smell and wants to put gas logs in. Sounds like a hell of a deal just need to see if it will fit. It's funny I've been combing through this forum and my local listings for months and as soon as I talk to y'all and get a good direction to go something like this pops up!

Most take a 6". So if you get that one and later decide to change it out for a newer one, you'll have few choices that accept the 8" liner.

I will have to check my chimney when I get home currently in there is a rectangle stainless steel liner. I think its 8" by 15" but not positive. Would that work?
Any idea what type of stainless this is? 8x15 is 120 square inches (I completed 1 year of college thank you) and would be "kinda" oversized for an 8" liner let alone a 6". Are those measurements accurate?

It's 6x15. I would prefer to do a 6" liner for potential future use as well like blacktail said. I did a search here and happened to find a guy mentioning he wanted to run a 6" liner to the same stove and he's only 20 miles south of me so I messaged him to see if he had any luck. Any problems I might have with the 6" liner? Would the stove probably at work decently? Also seller said he's had the stove 25 years and never changed any parts. It sounds like it was never used heavily so we shall see how the cat looks. I'm thinking even if the cat is shot $150 is a good deal for the stove as it looks to be in great shape

Have you seen the top of the stove yet? Do you know what the actual size and configuration of the exhaust port is? You're going to have to come up with some type of adapter to mate to this odd size liner you have or are you running something down the inside of it?

The stove is a buck 91 with a 8" flue. My chimney is lined but I need to run a flex liner down to the stove through my current chimney. If at possible what would be closer to a 8" liner, a 8" liner ovalized to fit the 6" short side of my current chimney or just run a round 6" down.

The stove is a buck 91 with a 8" flue. My chimney is lined but I need to run a flex liner down to the stove through my current chimney. If at possible what would be closer to a 8" liner, a 8" liner ovalized to fit the 6" short side of my current chimney or just run a round 6" down.
Call buck and ask them how small you can go on the liner. Don't forget you need room for insulation also.

I'd ovalize only the length I need to get it to the top and leave the bottom round so it fits into the stove. Have someone drop a rope down the chimney and then work it up from the bottom. Reround the top once it's out for the storm collar and cap. I'd even consider 7" with a 7-8 stainless adapter at the bottom. Squeezing that 8" down to 5.5 is going to be pushing it. Squeeze it to much and you'll ruin it.

Is the existing liner insulated in any way?

I'd ovalize only the length I need to get it to the top and leave the bottom round so it fits into the stove. Have someone drop a rope down the chimney and then work it up from the bottom. Reround the top once it's out for the storm collar and cap. I'd even consider 7" with a 7-8 stainless adapter at the bottom. Squeezing that 8" down to 5.5 is going to be pushing it. Squeeze it to much and you'll ruin it.

Is the existing liner insulated in any way?
It is a clay fireplace flue. Physically you can ovalize down pretty far but you loose allot of volume so you would have to start with a larger liner unless buck approves of less volume

It is a clay fireplace flue. Physically you can ovalize down pretty far but you loose allot of volume so you would have to start with a larger liner unless buck approves of less volume

I was making my comment based on his.

I will have to check my chimney when I get home currently in there is a rectangle stainless steel liner. I think its 8" by 15" but not positive. Would that work?