Stove Size for Central Ontario

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Ha! So I`ve been hearing. I've been told that can develop creosote?

That's up to you.

Creosote will condense on any surface below 250°F.

Will you have an insulated flue?
Will you burn dry wood?
Will you have a short hot fire or smolder a few splits for hours?
Will your stove have a cat for low burns?

So it could be true or not true. All depends upon the operator.

"Not allowed to smolder " would avoided by keeping the air intake open, half open?
Ha! You have very little control. Fully closed intake is still open enough to burn clean.

definitely get the t6 over the t5. You don’t live in a warm place. The versatility of a big box is great.

That's up to you.

Creosote will condense on any surface below 250°F.

Will you have an insulated flue?
Will you burn dry wood?
Will you have a short hot fire or smolder a few splits for hours?
Will your stove have a cat for low burns?

So it could be true or not true. All depends upon the operator.
The flue will be insulated, I've already started stacking my firewood for next winter. The short hot fire situation is what I am trying to figure out seeing as I've never owned a wood stove before, so the learning curve begins.

It will be a non-cat stove.

I do have plans for sprayfoaming the crawl space under the house (single level home) where most of the problem lies and re-insulating the attic, the windows are double pane and in decent condition...I have a tandem of logs (20 tons) maple, beech and birchthat I am currently processing for next winter.
That's enough stack height to run a PE..they breathe very well.
If you have a wood lot to work, find some dead <8" trees with the bark falling off; Those may well be dry already.
I'm working on our door weatherstripping now. If your place is older, you may need the screw-down metal flange as in this pic. If you have newer doors, they may have a kerf sawed into the frame for a fin on the other version of this strip. I have that on the next door I'll work on. It presently has a similar V-strip design, but a cheaper version, foam covered with a plastic jacket. I went ahead and got the better rubber stuff..
20200127_154303.jpg
will be away from the house for upwards of 10 hrs a day
Yep, in that case go for the big stove.
perfect for BK Princess
Yeah, but that's a complicated cat stove requiring more maintenance and doesn't particularly like a short stack, from some reports. Not to mention that the PEs can be had in gorgeous enamel and/or cast iron jacket, and a cooler over-all look. For less money. >>

I plan on having at least 6 cords of wood split and stacked before spring. I am assuming poplar will give me the same burn as pine or fir? We have more of that here.

And yes me and my partner will be away from the house for upwards of 10 hrs a day

Generally poplar should give you a little bit longer burn times than pine. But poplar is a broad term and it depends on the specific species, we have white poplar (trembling aspen) and black polar (balsam poplar), the white poplar has a fair bit more heat and burns with less ash compared to black poplar, although they both produce a lot more ash than pine. Oak Birch and Maple are better if you can get your hands on them though.

But don't get too caught up on tree species, dry wood is the best wood. Contrary to what you will read in some places you can actually heat through the coldest parts of the winter on pine and poplar, I have done it, but a little bit larger firebox does help to extend burn times. So based on this I would get the T6 over the T5.

If you have a wood lot to work, find some dead <8" trees with the bark falling off; Those may well be dry already.
I'm working on our door weatherstripping now. If your place is older, you may need the screw-down metal flange as in this pic. If you have newer doors, they may have a kerf sawed into the frame for a fin on the other version of this strip. I have that on the next door I'll work on. It presently has a similar V-strip design, but a cheaper version, foam covered with a plastic jacket. I went ahead and got the better rubber stuff..
View attachment 256012
Yeah, but that's a complicated cat stove requiring more maintenance and doesn't particularly like a short stack, from some reports. Not to mention that the PEs can be had in gorgeous enamel and/or cast iron jacket, and a cooler over-all look. For less money. >>
No argument there.

View attachment 256012
Right on...thanks! I've gotten some good feedback to consider.

"Not allowed to smolder " would avoided by keeping the air intake open, half open?
Normally that is unnecessary unless the wood has too much moisture. An EPA stove does not close the air down 100%. It always admits some air to avoid a smoldering situation. The exception is with some catalytic stoves that rely on the hot catalyst to burn the smoke.

The short hot fire situation is what I am trying to figure out seeing as I've never owned a wood stove before, so the learning curve begins.
It always admits some air to avoid a smoldering situation.
Right, you don't have to worry about smoldering and creo in the chimney, and once you get the hang of judging the startup fire and using the flue meter to tell you when to start cutting the air, you can control the burn to where you don't get an excessively hot fire..stove top about 650 or so, and that only lasts an hour or two with a partial load.

Right, you don't have to worry about smoldering and creo in the chimney, and once you get the hang of judging the startup fire and using the flue meter to tell you when to start cutting the air, you can control the burn to where you don't get an excessively hot fire..stove top about 650 or so, and that only lasts an hour or two with a partial load.
So start cutting the air once the flue temp reaches 650 or cut it sooner? I’m sure this is going to be something I just have to try out to know

So start cutting the air once the flue temp reaches 650 or cut it sooner? I’m sure this is going to be something I just have to try out to know
No, he said stove top, but stove top temps are slow to come up and not a good reference when doing a cold start fire. Flue temp is a much better guide. With a double-wall probe thermometer you would be turning down the air around 350-400ºF. The stove top could be only 250º at that point.

No, he said stove top, but stove top temps are slow to come up and not a good reference when doing a cold start fire. Flue temp is a much better guide. With a double-wall probe thermometer you would be turning down the air around 350-400ºF. The stove top could be only 250º at that point.
Yes, thanks for the correction and the link I’ll definitely give that a read. So when I start a fire in the morning before work, knowing I won’t be back for 10+ hrs am I essentially loading the stove (T6) full and waiting until the flue temp hits 350-400F turning down the air intake and leaving for the day? Would I come home after 10hrs to a warm house and a bed of coals to start it up again?

o when I start a fire in the morning before work, knowing I won’t be back for 10+ hrs am I essentially loading the stove (T6) full and waiting until the flue temp hits 350-400F turning down the air intake and leaving for the day? Would I come home after 10hrs to a warm house and a bed of coals to start it up again?
You'll also use your eyes to assess the fire, and look for the first hints of a secondary burn. Then you want to start cutting air, but not so much that you kill the secondary and flue temps stop rising. You'll get the hang of it with practice.
Yes, the T6 will easily go 10 hrs. and still be putting out heat with a nice coal bed.

Well I talked to two separate sales people today about the prospect of getting the bigger stove and they both kind of sluffed it off as not being the right choice, but neither of their arguments seemed logical, just regurgitating the specifications of the stove and that I would be enjoying the fire from the outside and developing creosote from under firing it etc.. Has anyone else had the same experience? And if so why is it so common?

You'll also use your eyes to assess the fire, and look for the first hints of a secondary burn. Then you want to start cutting air, but not so much that you kill the secondary and flue temps stop rising. You'll get the hang of it with practice.
Yes, the T6 will easily go 10 hrs. and still be putting out heat with a nice coal bed.
That's good to know. I wish they would let you try a stove out for a month before purchase...this is feels like a big deal!

Well I talked to two separate sales people today about the prospect of getting the bigger stove and they both kind of sluffed it off...that I would be enjoying the fire from the outside and developing creosote from under firing it etc..
"enjoying the fire from the outside" ? What's that mean, you roast yourself out and end up going outside to watch the fire through the window, where you don't have to sweat to death? ;lol
As mentioned earlier, you can run smaller loads to limit the heat output, yet still burn cleanly on that small load.
Around here anyway, the guys at the two stove shops aren't all that knowledgeable. They spout some cliches and what-not, but don't understand a whole lot about burning wood, like what I've learned here.

Reactions: ForestryGuy
Well I talked to two separate sales people today about the prospect of getting the bigger stove and they both kind of sluffed it off as not being the right choice, but neither of their arguments seemed logical, just regurgitating the specifications of the stove and that I would be enjoying the fire from the outside and developing creosote from under firing it etc.. Has anyone else had the same experience? And if so why is it so common?
I ran into this when upgrading from the Castine to the T6. The local stove shop refused to sell me the T6! Said that I would be pissed off with too much heat. Fortunately, by reading the chat on the forum Tom Oyen knew I was considering an Alderlea. He sent me a PM and then we had a long phone discussion about the pros and cons of the larger T6 vs the T5. It ran similar to what is being discussed in this thread. I already knew how a 1.7 cu ft stove would run after a couple seasons with the F400, and Tom convinced me that I wouldn't over heat the house unless I wanted to. He was right and I bought the stove from him instead of the local dealer. That was 11 winters ago.

If you want to try a stove out I would recommend you look at the Woodstock Ideal Steel. It's not pretty and it has a cat, but it has been time proven as a reliable heater with a good burn time. Woodstock will take the stove back within 6 months if unsatisfied.

Although it would be possible to overheat your space with that stove once you learn how it operates you will be fine. A huge bonus to the T6 is the 3 cuft firebox will burn longer and heat for longer than the 2.1 cuft of the T5.

I have a 2.4 cuft firebox in my Osburn, i wish I had a 3 cuft to get better overnight burns. But in temps down to -20c it still works well, colder than that the natural gas furnace still needs to run periodically.

I ran into this when upgrading from the Castine to the T6. The local stove shop refused to sell me the T6! Said that I would be pissed off with too much heat. Fortunately, by reading the chat on the forum Tom Oyen knew I was considering an Alderlea. He sent me a PM and then we had a long phone discussion about the pros and cons of the larger T6 vs the T5. It ran similar to what is being discussed in this thread. I already knew how a 1.7 cu ft stove would run after a couple seasons with the F400, and Tom convinced me that I wouldn't over heat the house unless I wanted to. He was right and I bought the stove from him instead of the local dealer. That was 11 winters ago.

If you want to try a stove out I would recommend you look at the Woodstock Ideal Steel. It's not pretty and it has a cat, but it has been time proven as a reliable heater with a good burn time. Woodstock will take the stove back within 6 months if unsatisfied.
Thanks begreen. There seems to be a huge discrepancy between the people selling the stoves and the people running them (yourselves). The wife is on board with getting the larger stove so I am going to trust this forums collective knowledge and experience and get the T6. Thanks again for the info. I will share my experience once it’s installed.

Most people that sell stoves have never ran one!

Most people that sell stoves have never ran one!
It definitely seems that way. Funny thing though is that Friendly Fires out of Peterborough states that the T5 heats up to 1500 sq ft in warmer climates. But talking to them on the phone the technician said the T6 would be too much for my space which is in a cold climate and 1200 sq ft? I don’t get the logic.

You came to the right place to choose your stove!

If the bigger stove will burn low and slow, go bigger. I’m also in Ontario, outside Ottawa. No insulation, a touch drafty, and about 1600sq/ft. Bigger stove keeps the house warm, but I still blast the propane heat every morning around 7:00 (on a schedule) to move some air around and heat the crawl spaces so nothing freezes (and warm it up a bit for the family).