Stove scare update:

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyray

Minister of Fire
Ok.. thanks for all the replys back...

after going over and over it in my mind, I am pretty sure the stove was on when I got the spark..;em
On a full cleaning, I usually have the exhaust fan on when I brush ash down to the ashpan, pretty much the whole time I am cleaning/scraping upper part of the stove...
After that, I shut the stove off because i then pull out the ashpan so as to brush the exhaust fan blades and also clean out the tunnel.. but, I was just doing the partial cleaning of brushing ash and cleaning out igniter compartment..
Mistake:
what I did was, in the beginning as the stove was just simmering few pellets ready to shut down, I opened the stove door a bit to let out the remaining heat before I started cleaning.
this shuts off the exhaust blower much sooner...yes I was in a bit of a hurry to start brushing.
got a phone call for a few minutes then came back to the stove and must have assumed I shut the stove off.!!!
While fingering the ash out near the igniter I probably touched the end of the igniter where the 2 leads are...
I am assuming the igniter is still hot juice wise even while NOT igniting??...but, I am sure now the stove dial was Not off at 9 o'clock position....
that's the best I can come up with... been pretty cold here so not shutting down for a while..
when I do I will take the 2 bolts out and pull out the igniter so I can look at the wires.
if I see any black or burn spot, i have a spare I bought few weeks ago and will just replace it....

Last edited:
Although I don't have my stove unplugged when I clean that area, it is in the "Off" position and on test mode (which would also shut off the juice to the igniter I would assume). So you are probably correct in your diagnosis.

Reactions: Tonyray
Ok.. thanks for all the replys back...

after going over and over it in my mind, I am pretty sure the stove was on when I got the spark..;em
On a full cleaning, I usually have the exhaust fan on when I brush ash down to the ashpan, pretty much the whole time I am cleaning/scraping upper part of the stove...
After that, I shut the stove off because i then pull out the ashpan so as to brush the exhaust fan blades and also clean out the tunnel.. but, I was just doing the partial cleaning of brushing ash and cleaning out igniter compartment..
Mistake:
what I did was, in the beginning as the stove was just simmering few pellets ready to shut down, I opened the stove door a bit to let out the remaining heat before I started cleaning.
this shuts off the exhaust blower much sooner...yes I was in a bit of a hurry to start brushing.
got a phone call for a few minutes then came back to the stove and must have assumed I shut the stove off.!!!
While fingering the ash out near the igniter I probably touched the end of the igniter where the 2 leads are...
I am assuming the igniter is still hot juice wise even while NOT igniting??...but, I am sure now the stove dial was Not off at 9 o'clock position....
that's the best I can come up with... been pretty cold here so not shutting down for a while..
when I do I will take the 2 bolts out and pull out the igniter so I can look at the wires.
if I see any black or burn spot, i have a spare I bought few weeks ago and will just replace it....

Thank goodness I'm not the only one that gets distracted once in a while.;):)
Thanks for the update, and very glad it was no worse than it turned out to be. I think I know how you felt and why you kept pondering over and over in your mind to figure out the "why?". I do that same thing each time something changes from the "but I've done it that way several times". ;em

Reactions: bogieb and Tonyray
Status
Not open for further replies.