Stove review

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jan Pijpelink

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2015
South Jersey
As I posted a while ago, our Kent Tile Fire has a warped baffle. I loved that stove. I was looking around for a replacement and found a 2003 Avalon Rainier 945 insert in excellent condition. Seller asked $375, I paid $267. Stove came without blower.
After brushing, cleaning and painting, I installed it in our masonry fireplace. Extended install, no surround panels. Sheet metal block-off plate with Roxul on top of it.

House is a raised ranch, 2200 square feet. House is well insulated. We had new siding installed a few years ago and under the thick siding is a 1 inch layer of (pre-molded) polystyrene foam insulation.

Downstairs is a family room (with fireplace) and practically empty, an office (where I spend most of the day when not in an airplane), guest bedroom, utility room and garage.
Upstairs (2x6 steps up) living room, 3 bedrooms ( 2 of them door closed), kitchen, bathroom (door closed), dining room. Kitchen, dining and living room all connected without doors.

The stairs to the upper level are about 20 feet from the fireplace. The guest bedroom and utility room are closed. The family room and office are about 800 square feet combined.

Burning during the day a mix of pine and oak, both levels of the house are maintained at 76 F (dining room 72 F) with an outside temperature of mid 40's. I have not yet decided to purchase the original (overpriced) blower, so I use a table fan on the floor in front of the stove to blow cool air in. Stove top temp is 530 F, connector stove to liner is 410 F.

Last night I filled it full with red/white oak at 1 AM and at 11 AM this morning I had enough coals to restart a fire. Outside temperature was around high 30's to 40 during the night. I am curious how long the overnight burn will be when it freezes.
However, considering the 1.9 cubic feet firebox, very impressive.

What I like about the stove is that it is very easy to operate, the air wash is excellent and a relatively large glass in the door.
When the stove is hot, I notice a slight humming sound with air open or closed. Not very disturbing. Sound goes away when I open the door.

So far, I am very pleased with the stove and $267 well spent. And thanks @begreen for his advise.

Last edited:
Post some pics! It's always interesting to see other set ups.

Post some pics! It's always interesting to see other set ups.

Here you are.
Stove review Stove review Stove review Stove review Stove review

Last edited by a moderator: