Stove Recommendation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

turbo9

Oct 19, 2024
Reedsburg, WI
Hi Folks. I'm looking for a stove recommendation. We currently heat our home with a Lopi Cape Cod and love the stove. We're shopping for a second stove to heat a 600 sqft single pane glass greenhouse attached to the house in WI.

Wish list:
>40,000 btu
glass door
integrated ash pan with ash grate (not ash plug) in bottom of stove
secondary combustion
prefer to buy new
This stove will can more utilitarian than aesthetically pleasing
I'd like to keep the price down a bit if possible.

The problem I'm finding while shopping is none of the lower end stoves I'm seeing have the integrated ash pan with ash grate in the bottom of the stove, everything has an ash plug or just firebrick bottom. We REALLY like this feature on the Cape Cod we have. Can anyone recommend a stove with these characteristics or do I just need to pony up for a higher price stove to get what we're looking for?

Thanks!

Other than the ash pan requirement (unnecessary IMO) the Drolet Nano would work.

Reactions: Wisco Shepherd
Why do you like the ashlan so much?
Less mess?

This one is in a greenhouse so a mess is much less consequential than in the house.

But yes, taste...

Why do you like the ashlan so much?
Less mess?

This one is in a greenhouse so a mess is much less consequential than in the house.

But yes, taste...
Less mess, can open the ash pan and draught through the fire when lighting for a fast light…….and most importantly: the domestic supervisor likes it.

Lol.
Be careful with opening the ashpan for air; it's a surefire way to damage the stove if you once forget to close it.