Stove pipe worries

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

New2theBurn

Dec 8, 2017
Central Virginia, USA
I recently installed a masonry chimney, and purchased a wood burning stove. Now I'm at the critical part of connecting them, and I can't seem to figure it out.

The thimble sticks out from the wall 5 and a half inches. I need my stove pipe to come down about 4 feet and over about 12 inches. My walls are non combustible as is my cement floor. My stove has a 6 inch output.

I guess my questions are:
1. How do I connect stove pipe to my thimble?
2. Should I go with single or double wall pipe?
3. Where should I put the damper?
4. What brand or store would carry what I need?

I'm not in a rush, as this is my first session and I don't have too much seasoned wood yet. But I'd like to have this going before Christmas for the kids.

Thanks for any advice or assistace you can provide.
Stove pipe worries

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: VirginiaIron
Usually a 6" Stainless liner kit with 1/2" Insulation would be installed down through the chimney, and a 2 piece Tee connector would be installed and would come out of the clay thimble. The thimble inside dimension needs to be at least 6 1/8" or larger. Then 6" stove pipe would be attached to the Tee pipe coming through the thimble.
Single wall black stove pipe requires 18" to combustibles. Not sure how far your ceiling is above the thimble. Double wall stove pipe clearance is 8" to ceiling.
Not sure if you need a damper, newer wood stoves should have air controls on them. If you were going to install a pipe damper, then about 8" above the stove should work.
Many internet companies, can supply these products. But shipping out of the US may cost extra.
How far is the electrical conduit away from the thimble?
How large is the inside chimney flue?

Hello, and welcome to the forum. For masonry chimneys like yours, All connector pipes that I have seen slide into the thimble with special attention to not inserting the connector pipe past the thimble and into the vertical portion of the chimney.
I got most of my supplies online and at two local retailers.
Make sure you have a chimney cap to prevent sparks, and to prevent animals and water from entering the chimney. Water will contribute to the death of your chimney.

The damper location, if permitted and applicable, should be dictated by the stove manufacturer in the manual you received.
Single and double wall pipe will change your clearances.
Double wall pipe might be required for your location/clearances and may limit the type of damper you can use.
Double wall pipe will help your chimney remain hotter and might limit creosote buildup, and might reduce the extra heat into the room.

***As always, you must follow local codes and the manufacturers installation requirements and directions.***

Usually a 6" Stainless liner kit with 1/2" Insulation would be installed down through the chimney, and a 2 piece Tee connector would be installed and would come out of the clay thimble. The thimble inside dimension needs to be at least 6 1/8" or larger. Then 6" stove pipe would be attached to the Tee pipe coming through the thimble.
Single wall black stove pipe requires 18" to combustibles. Not sure how far your ceiling is above the thimble. Double wall stove pipe clearance is 8" to ceiling.
Not sure if you need a damper, newer wood stoves should have air controls on them. If you were going to install a pipe damper, then about 8" above the stove should work.
Many internet companies, can supply these products. But shipping out of the US may cost extra.
How far is the electrical conduit away from the thimble?
How large is the inside chimney flue?

The inside of the flue is 6 and a half. The electrical conduit it's currently 12 inches away, but I'm going to move that to 36 inches away today

Hello, and welcome to the forum. For masonry chimneys like yours, All connector pipes that I have seen slide into the thimble with special attention to not inserting the connector pipe past the thimble and into the vertical portion of the chimney.
I got most of my supplies online and at two local retailers.
Make sure you have a chimney cap to prevent sparks, and to prevent animals and water from entering the chimney. Water will contribute to the death of your chimney.

The damper location, if permitted and applicable, should be dictated by the stove manufacturer in the manual you received.
Single and double wall pipe will change your clearances.
Double wall pipe might be required for your location/clearances and may limit the type of damper you can use.
Double wall pipe will help your chimney remain hotter and might limit creosote buildup, and might reduce the extra heat into the room.

***As always, you must follow local codes and the manufacturers installation requirements and directions.***

Thank you, I am glad I found this site, lots of great information on here. I'm glad you said something. As the model stove I have doesn't need a damper because it's got air control on the front of the stove.

I wanted to do double wall pipe for extra safety, but knowing it'll help lower creosote build up makes that a much easier choice for me.

Now I need to search around for the right double wall pipe. I'm also not too sure what the connector is supposed to look like for the clay thimble I have

Thanks for the advice.

I too have built a masonry chimney this year. Your corner set up is identical too mine except mine is in living room. I went with single wall pipe that i purchased from Home depot. You will need to run stove pipe thru your clay thimble so that the stove pipe is extended two inches past thimble on both ends.This is according to fire code where i live. Its a tight fit so a piece of 2x4 and a hammer might come in handy. I installed a damper about 12 inches up from the collar of the stove.

I too have built a masonry chimney this year. Your corner set up is identical too mine except mine is in living room. I went with single wall pipe that i purchased from Home depot. You will need to run stove pipe thru your clay thimble so that the stove pipe is extended two inches past thimble on both ends.This is according to fire code where i live. Its a tight fit so a piece of 2x4 and a hammer might come in handy. I installed a damper about 12 inches up from the collar of the stove.

I used furnace cement to seal the seam between my connector pipe and the clay thimble. I have also seen this application to work successfully in other peoples installs as well.

A connector is any pipe/ device that connects the appliance to the thimble/chimney.

You might want to get other opinions on pushing the pipe past the interior of the thimble "on both ends". Maybe at least 2" inches into the thimble. On your installation I would recommend at least 2" into the structural portion of your chimney past that part of your thimble that sticks out into the room which does not offer any structural strength. I do not think the connector pipe should pass the horizontal thimble AND INTO the chimney"s verticle portion. I have pushed the connector pipe into the thimblepretty far but not into the verticle section.

There are some pros on this site that may offer different advice. I'm not a pro and you should perform your own research and follow manf instructions and local codes.

Stove pipe worries

This metal pipe is sealed at the thimble with either cement, high temp silicone, or other material.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are saying you installed your pipe 2" past the inside of the thimble???

Reactions: jhjove
Also how dod you pass the thimble through your wall?

Yes approximately two inches past clay thimble going into chimney. Two inches out from thimble inside house so stove to wall thimble connection can be made. County code.

Yes approximately two inches past clay thimble going into chimney. Two inches out from thimble inside house so stove to wall thimble connection can be made. County code.
That is completly wrong. It goes against every manufacturers instructions. And is absolutly horrible for your draft.

Cut a square hole in wall. Ran the clay thimble threw wall and surrounded thimble with masonry brick and mortar 12" all around thimble.
Good most people dont do near enough madonry around the crock. How did you make the masonry that sticks out past the chimney look right from outside?

It has to stick out some or you wouldn't be able to connect the stove pipe to the thimble.
Yes obviously it sticks out into the room. But you said it extends past the crock and into the chimney 2".

It has to stick out some or you wouldn't be able to connect the stove pipe to the thimble.
Or are you saying it sticks into the crock by 2"?

Past the crock and into the chimney.
So it sticks 2" past the face of the liner inside the chimney? And that is required by your county? The reason i asked what staye and county is because i will report it to my csia rep and see if they will address it. Because it is complety wrong.

Ok i looked it up from your profile i see you are from wyoming county ny. That county uses ny state building and fire codes neither of which require the pipe to project 2" into the chimney. Who ever told you that was mistaken