Stove is not always igniting and pellets are overflowing. XXV 3 years old:(

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats fan

Dec 13, 2014
New Hampshire
Several times now the pellets are overflowing when the stove is trying to start. Also, I noticed that the pellets start to burn on the left side of the burn pot and not the right side. Do I need to replace the ignitor? and how hard is it to replace in the Harman XXV?

I would think it was simply the igniter, but I wonder if it is these pellets. I had a hard time finding pellets in southern NH. We went with Ambiance and unfortunately I ordered a lot of them for us and our friends and family. We are cleaning out the ash pot twice a week!!! and the glass is so dark after 1 day, we can't see through it! Could these pellets be causing all the problem? We were burning Vermont wood pellets and cubix previously with no problems.
Thanks for your help!!

Check the fines box cover. If it's on wrong, it'll allow additional air to leak in & the
result will be the one side burn pot ignition & darkened glass.
If it's on & the gasket has failed, it'll need replacement.
A small goob of RTV in the failed area can seal it in the meantime.
Unfortunately, the entire cover has to be replaced unless you can find the gasket material somewhere.
Cost is about $21...

We have been cleaning out the fines box once a week and it has not been too ashy. The cover does not have a gasket on it but I will make sure it's on tight. Thanks

We have been cleaning out the fines box once a week and it has not been too ashy. The cover does not have a gasket on it but I will make sure it's on tight. Thanks

Really? I just bought a replacement for the P43 & this is what was sent to me from Harman. The gasket is about 1/8" thick, adhesive backed foam.

Attachments

• Stove is not always igniting and pellets are overflowing. XXV 3 years old:(
    FBC.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 124
  • Stove is not always igniting and pellets are overflowing. XXV 3 years old:(
    FPC Gasket.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 134
I HAVE A p68 AND WELL COVERED A FOAM SEAL INSIDE

I think your cover needs a gasket.

OK- I thought the fines box cover was where the igniter is. OOOpps
I did just remove the foam lined fines cover about a week ago to clean it out. I will recheck it to make sure it is on securely.

OK- I thought the fines box cover was where the igniter is. OOOpps
I did just remove the foam lined fines cover about a week ago to clean it out. I will recheck it to make sure it is on securely.
I'm always amazed that Harman never used a cover gasket on the igniter cover.

That fines cover can be tricky, I got mine on wrong one time but caught myself. I didn't catch the tongue at the top with the slot provided in the cover and it sat outside the tongue.

Great News!! You were both correct! It took me a little bit to see that the top of the cover has to go over the clip and then put the screw on.
Anyways, all the pellets lit up, not just the left side.

Too bad I have a cellar full of Ambiance pellets. My stove is filthy!!! and we empty the ash bucket constantly. Uuuggg.....

Great News!! You were both correct! It took me a little bit to see that the top of the cover has to go over the clip and then put the screw on.
Anyways, all the pellets lit up, not just the left side.

Too bad I have a cellar full of Ambiance pellets. My stove is filthy!!! and we empty the ash bucket constantly. Uuuggg.....
Indeed that is good news ! Can't help you with the pellets except that last year when I had some really dirty ones I mixed really clean burning ones with them. It helped too, about 1/3 clean burning ones to 2/3 dirty. It took the curse off but I didn't have a basement full of dirty ones just a few bags. I mixed them up by hand right in the hopper.

Never buy a ton of pellets unless you have previously burned 2 or 3 trial bags, or you have a damn good recommendation from a trusted source.

Reactions: alternativeheat
Status
Not open for further replies.