Stove for Small Workshop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After research and taking into account all of the feedback and suggestions I have ordered a stove from AM-FM Energy. I decided to go with the 50-TVL-17 made by Englander. My decision was based upon the size of my shop and the dollars I had available. My wife also did not me buying a used stove so all the ones I looked at on Craig's List were disqualified.

Since I retired in January I spend from 4 to 6 hours a day in my shop. Last winter I heated it with a propane heater but this winter I will be using a wood stove. My plan would be to go out prior to breakfast and start a fire. Then head out to work on my boat building. I don't require the shop to be 80 degrees and would prefer it to be betwee65 and 70 degrees. I could have gone bigger and paid some additional dollars but from the reviews that I read (some on this forum and some from the HD site) I am quite comfortable with my purchase.

The stove should be delivered within the next 6 to 7 days. Andy from AM-FM Energy was great to work with and very responsive to my phone call and then follow up on the order and shipping details. So far I am very impressed with his company.

I am in the midst of putting in my chimney which is a DuraPlus 6" stainless steel Class A thru the wall installation. Once the stove arrives and is in place I will measure everything up for double wall pipe.

I will begin a new thread once I have the stove and detail both the chimney installation and the stove installation.

Thanks everyone for your input. Looking forward to my first burn.

My plan would be to go out prior to breakfast and start a fire. Then head out to work on my boat building. I don't require the shop to be 80 degrees and would prefer it to be betwee65 and 70 degrees.

Okay so this is not a good idea. Once you start that fire you will need to babysit it for quite some time until you have it set to "cruising" settings. First you need to build the fire, and then light it with the door cracked, then shut the door but throttle full, and then close the throttle in increments to your desired setting. It's really not wise at all to leave during this time and this unattended burning is one of the reasons that many insurance companies prohibit solid fuel burners in outbuildings.

You'll be smarter to go out to the shop and plan to start the fire and stay there at that time. Yes, it will be cold for a while until the stove heats up but that's better than looking out the window to seeing your shop on fire! I've been known to start up a propane heater while I get the woodstove up to temp.

Okay so this is not a good idea. Once you start that fire you will need to babysit it for quite some time until you have it set to "cruising" settings. First you need to build the fire, and then light it with the door cracked, then shut the door but throttle full, and then close the throttle in increments to your desired setting. It's really not wise at all to leave during this time and this unattended burning is one of the reasons that many insurance companies prohibit solid fuel burners in outbuildings.

You'll be smarter to go out to the shop and plan to start the fire and stay there at that time. Yes, it will be cold for a while until the stove heats up but that's better than looking out the window to seeing your shop on fire! I've been known to start up a propane heater while I get the woodstove up to temp.

I 100% agree. I did intend to leave the fire until it was burning properly. I just didn't include a detailed description of this.

I certainly do appreciate the heads up and welcome any comments that will make things safer.

Thanks. It's nice to have others input and experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.