Stop the scratch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not yet..looks like I will be. Not sure why but I feel bad after the Thelin episode.:(
Well you shouldn't feel bad your dealer should,this is two stoves installed in your home and they haven't got it right.though they may be nice people the facts still remain.

Reactions: John Fortier
Can you just jockey the left front of the stove out a tad? Looks like the left side is tighter to the surround than the right looking at the position of the rivets with the lid opened. Hard to tell from the photos.

Or could you gently push and flex the surround in where it is scraping? Does the hopper lid have any burrs on that left front end or is it smooth all the way across?

IMO it is an installation and/or leveling issue. The hopper lid is obviously binding there but the question is what is causing it? Doors and frames only need to be out slightly and things can get goofy fast. There is more to this than level and plumb. There is also a twisting factor. The insert's frame or what it slides into can be slightly twisted and out giving you caddy-whoompus end results. The installer should have noticed the hopper lid was tight there and had it adjusted before packing up the tools.

Only other thing I can think of is that the heat after the stove has been ran up to temp has affected the surround metal slightly and caused a slight shift resulting in less clearance. Heat makes materials expand. Surround metals are usually thin and subject to dips and bows.

If you take a 4' level and lay it across the surround there what are you seeing? Can you flex and push it in where it is scraping? Is your hopper lid slightly out? Check the reveal across the front. I know my hopper lid on my new P68 is not the finest German engineering. Kinda flimsy and jake with some movement side to side IMO but it doesn't need to be very precise either. On mine there is nothing around it so it has room to play. Different animal than your set up. Check the hinges to see if you see anything goofy or out of line a tad. It doesn't take a lot to throw things out enough to be a PITA.

I do a lot of doors and some are steel preset frames on commercial jobs which can be dreadful depending on if someone cared just enough or slammed them in. A slightly twisted or tweeked door frame can really get crazy with reveals and how things line up. Same principle but smaller scale with your issue I believe. I bet the frame is doing something goofy behind your insert. My guess is that the inserts frame is low in the left rear corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.