Stop the scratch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Fortier

Feeling the Heat
Sep 29, 2013
Any ideas on how I can remedy this. I have the paint just need to know the fix. Stove is out of level leaning to the front 1/8" and side to side is level. Would it be something as simple as that little bit of leveling?
Stop the scratch

Last edited:
Didn't occur during install and not noticed until now? Something on the surround not properly tightened?

I may be screwy but if it's leaning toward the front as in the front top edge is lower than the back edge, the the fireplace front isn't square with the hearth floor. If you levelled the stove it would be worse, not better. The way I see it (may be screwy again because I'm not there), you need to lower the top front edge a bit more to elimiante the rub. Your Thielin didn't rub did it?

Reactions: John Fortier
Did occur after install..may need to call again. Thelin didn't rub but it did suck;em I agree raising would make it worse.

How?

Did occur after install..may need to call again. Thelin didn't rub but it did suck;em I agree raising would make it worse.
Now that I think of it when I told you the tech told me all he had to do is "level" the stove, I think he meant to actually level the inner frame. As I remember there was a bunch of adjustments they were making to the frame with these long screws to level the frame. To do that I think you would actually have to pull the stove out all the way out.

John, on my stove there is actually a very small gap between the lid and the back plate and that is solid. After rolling the stove out, it goes in solid leaving that 1/8 gap.

Might be that there are back screws on the frame that needs to be raised a bit. I mean raise the back part of the frame a bit or maybe bring the frame forward and out a 1/4 inch or so. The tech pulled the stove out a few times making adjustments to the frame I remember that clearly.

John, if you would, put a carpenters level (long one, preferrably a good aluminum one) vertically on the blank off panel on each side of the stove and see if it's true vertical or canted. That will tell you right away what needs to be adjusted and how much.

John, if you would, put a carpenters level (long one, preferrably a good aluminum one) vertically on the blank off panel on each side of the stove and see if it's true vertical or canted. That will tell you right away what needs to be adjusted and how much.
Checked it and it is out about 1/2 " on both sides..yet only left side is scratching.

It would raise the unit back into the cover plate even more.

What would happen if you dropped the front corner on the scratching side a little bit and raised the opposite side an equal amount?

My same thought, equal out of level may be the fix. Will give it a go next time a good clean is needed.

My same thought, equal out of level may be the fix. Will give it a go next time a good clean is needed.
You just had that stove installed, that's an installation issue,I'd be on the phone not fixing myself.unless you installed it yourself?

I did not install it and actually paid $200.00 to have it installed..looks like another phone call..They gonna really love me:)

Can you post a piccy from a tad wider shot to show the entire stove/fireplace front ???

Maybe a hot looking down at the area of the scratches with the lid open as well please.

Can you post a piccy from a tad wider shot to show the entire stove/fireplace front ???
Maybe a hot looking down at the area of the scratches with the lid open as well please

Snowy,
I will take said shots when I get home from work today. Should have them posted by 6:00.

Shots requested, need others please let me know.

Stop the scratch Stop the scratch Stop the scratch Stop the scratch

Hey John...Looking at the pictures and the way the lid opens, if it was me and it was my unit, I'd open the lid (like in 3 and 4) and take a Metabo (4 1/2" right angle grinder) and grind a bit off the left side (where the lid is scraping the back plate. That way you don't have to fiddle with anything level wise. A minute of grinding and checking the clearance and a sprits of paint and you'd be good to go.

Sidecar,
Have a grinder and it would be easy to do. Just a tad worried about 1) its a new stove and 2) warranty then being voided.

Sidecar,
Have a grinder and it would be easy to do. Just a tad worried about 1) its a new stove and 2) warranty then being voided.

You are 'cleaning' up the lid to fit, nothing more. do a nice job and paint it and never say anything. they will never know...... I'd be doing it like now.

Have you contacted the dealer?

Have you contacted the dealer?
I have not yet..looks like I will be. Not sure why but I feel bad after the Thelin episode.:(

They might do the very same procedure.
At least they would have to come out and do it for free. Then I'm not the one voiding the warranty...........Oh how great it is to be free.......From all the things I need not see.......(chorus)..... Me thinks we may have a hit song here.... feel free to add;lol

Not musically inclined but considering what you went through with the Thelin, this is a minor bump in the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.