Stirling engine powered fan!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
OEM is $27 for the newer models and $20 for the older ones when I checked yesterday on Amazon.

I'd check the thermal transfer compound / pads on the teg, too. Have a new tube of thermal goo onhand before checking. You can get a little syringe of silver-based goo from anywhere that sells computer stuff for five or ten bucks. The goo is much better than the pads, but you the goo is designed to work in very thin applications only, where there is direct metal-to-metal contact.

In a pinch you could use the same copper anti-sieze you lube your stove with. It works pretty well as emergency thermal transfer compound but it is electrically conductive so be careful what you get it on. The computer thermal compounds are for the most part nonconductive.

I had two of the 40$ Amazon fans, they didn’t last a season. I think I let them get too hot, neither of them would tip themselves with the bielectric strip at the base either. They became sorta erratic would start and stop on there own, eventually no starts, all stop. I’d like the 168$ one, lots of mechanical stuff to watch. My birthday is in July.

It could be done, but would take some novel design of both the insert and fan. There are stirling stove top fans that move 3-400 cfm.

I think the main difficulty would be getting the heat to the engine as most blower motors are probably not near the hot part of the stove.. Then you'd have to tell people to give the fan a spin to get it started, i don't think the general public would go for that or would get frustrated when they try to get it spinning too soon and it dies out.

Good points Bob.