Still getting cold air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Does this cap cover the insert as well? I would need a round cap for the insert. The brick chimney is already covered with a steel cover though ...
If not, how do I fit/secure the round insert to the square damper?
Or do you cut the round pipe insert below the level of the brick chimney? Wouldn't that let smoke back down the cavity and cause creosote?

I'm in the same boat. Waiting on replacement for cracked door glass. Running central heat. There's a cold breeze coming in from around the insert, which is in a manufactured fireplace. I typically get downdraft when cold. Will check it out later. Glass should come in next week.

My wife likes to save plastic bags for recycling. I filled one with others and stuffed it in the stove flue exit. There was still cool breeze coming from the space between the insert and fireplace walls. I put a few more bags at the bottom of what might be air intakes (for some holes) on either side of fireplace. That seemed to help.

Apparently there could still be an outside air connection, of some sort. I vaguely remember an outside vent that I did something or other with before my first insert.

It'd be hard to look around in the chase, especially at this time of year, lol. Although, I might still try.

I think I'll look up the Heatilator zc fireplace manual and see the typical outside air setup. I'll probably wind up stuffing some rock wool under those air tubes where with cold air is coming through.

Here is a diagram for my zc fireplace's outside air:
(Mine was the original one. Not sure I'll be taking siding off at this point though.

Still getting cold air

I'd kind of know where it's located from this diagram.
I recall there was a gas line to the area, but not sure if knockout was opened for that.
Not sure how I'd block outside air opening on the unit, other that doing what I noted earlier, with something like Roxul.
Still getting cold air