Stainless flue pipe temp meter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stealthdude

Dec 22, 2018
Ohio
Newer member and newer issue. I searched but couldnt find a relatable situation

new Quadra Fire explorer 2.
stainless 6” liner. 3 wall
Connecting “T” between them
Stainless pipe from rear discharge to “T”

I have magnetic top measurement units but .... the gap between the cast iron on The stove makes them skewed due to the steel box cast jacket design

the stainless connecting pipe makes them absorb radiant heat connecting to the “T”.....

I don’t think the condar unit will work because it wil also absorb the radiant heat.

Any good ideas or solutions on how to measure flue temp? Do I even need to? I hate to fix a problem that isn’t a problem

presently I can set a magnet mount version on top of the stainless and it gives me a directional feedback.
That said I have a feeling when to turn it back if the fire is going or not. Just would be nice to have a measurement and apply science to when to turn it back
Do I need a measure device if it is all stainless?

interesting question, turning this stove back is very hard. I cant limit the incoming air enough and it burns very hot and through the wood once started. No complaints, it gets hot and burns long enough, just can’t damper it down enough compared to the old smoke dragon unit;
I can’t limit It once it gets started is what I am saying