Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tarr4133

Sep 22, 2012
Oak Harbor, WA
So I am in the market for a wood splitter. I not only cut for myself but for other people and sell the wood. The last year I have split it all by hand and this year I am in the makert to get a splitter. Dont really want to spend over 2 gs on one. The hardest wood I run across is Maple.

i have 27ton ariens, it has done everything i have asked it to. i liked the subaru robin engine. no complaints so far, one season.

I have been looking at the North Stars but shipping is a killer on them.

22 ton Huskee, at Tractor Supply. None in Washington though.
22 ton Speeco in Washington state. several dealers in state.
Skagit Farmers Supply. close to you.

more dealers:
http://www.speeco.com/store_locator/index.php?

Less than $2k.
Lots here have it & it has good reviews
Like mine, 22 ton Speeco.

Local Home Depot had a Ariens 34-ton for $1999 when I stopped by the other day. Think you can get a Super Splitter for around the same price.

SplitFire the only solution!

i've only used 4 brands of splitter so i don't have that much experience. what i can advise tho is to not shop strictly based on tonnage. sure 34 tons is great but cycle time will suffer badly if the engine and pump are not designed to push a 5" cyclinder. research something with a 4" cylinder. they usually run up to the mid 20's in tonnage and with a suitable engine will produce a fast cycle time. i bought my splitter from a local kid who took over the family bussiness established in 1938. i know he'll be there for service or warranty issues. i didn't want to deal with assembly, mail-order parts and phone calls and sh@#. AND - it came filled with hydraulic fluid. that's $100 right there. btw - its fast and super solid - i roll 30" green oak rounds under it and it blows them apart.

oh yes - if you're gonna split big stuff, make sure you get one that tips verticle. and don't forget the milk crate.:cool:

I have been looking at the North Stars but shipping is a killer on them.

Very happy with mine. ask about hotline membership. Free shipping on certain items.. might get lucky. Call them instead of using internet. I'm really happy with my honda powered north star. Cycle time doesn't matter as much if you only go into the wood a few inches before it pops. You won't be as fast as the splitter. :)

SplitFire the only solution!

There is a split fire dealer very close to me and I was curious as to how well of a product they are? Do you have the one that splits both ways? How long have you had the unit?

Too bad you are on the other coast. The fryeburg fair in Maine next week is always a great place to check out wood processing gear.

So...just how many cords per year are you looking at putting through this thing? You may be in Iron and Oak territory. The reason that I bring this up is that I & O is one of the FEW MFGs. that actually have options for the pump/cylinder/engine combo's that exceed what you will find in most of the rest. An 11 gpm pump on a store bought unit would be converted to a 16 gpm for I & O (just as one example).

Simply stated - I like the specs of the I&O if production speed is a main concern.

I would guess splitting by hand your not doing heavy production? (Try the used market as well) tsc has quite a few under 2k and home depot lowes.

I have a 20 ton yard machines splitter....It will split anything I can physically lift and put on it. Works great for me and I split 15-20 cords per year.

There are much better brands out there often for more $$$ but I choose a 27 ton Troy Built splitter from Lowes. Just had to add gas and split, some don't include hydraulic fluid. The price was $1,399 but I bought in March/April and they gave me 20% off for a price of $1,120. Can't beat it at that price. She splits horizontal and vertical and I have fed 19 cords through her so far without a problem. I have split up to 29" oak but oak is an easy wood to split, I have also split hickory, maple, white ash, and what I think was cotton wood. Slow cycle time but most splits only go 2-3" into the wood before it splits so you don't run the full cycle down and back. Good luck to yah, send me a message for more details.

I live in the northwest and cut the same wood as you do. We don't have TSC here but we do have Dels stores all over which is either a sister company or just a renamed TSC. Same thing.

Anyway, right now in WA Dels is offering the Huskee 22 ton model that is so loved on this site for 999$. The sale started yesterday and should go through the weekend at least. I bought one last week and already shoved 2 cords through it and it works great. The Huskee 22 is all you need.

It comes with hydro oil and even engine oil already assembled, just add gas and split.

There is a split fire dealer very close to me and I was curious as to how well of a product they are? Do you have the one that splits both ways? How long have you had the unit?

2nd year, more than 100 face cords (331/3 Cords for folks who just don't get the "facecord" idea) through it, narry a problem. I believe all split fires split both ways. If you want to get a lot done in little time look no further!

2nd year, more than 100 face cords (331/3 Cords for folks who just don't get the "facecord" idea) through it, narry a problem. I believe all split fires split both ways. If you want to get a lot done in little time look no further!
Thanks! Real world feed back is priceless.

Thats no world re-cord, but it is a nice splitter with alot of other good ones out there. I have well over 125 cords thats thats 375 face cords in 6 years. (Not even going to say what it is) Still stroking 20 cords a year 3 stoves and a furnace.:)

Thats no world re-cord, but it is a nice splitter with alot of other good ones out there. I have well over 125 cords thats thats 375 face cords in 6 years. (Not even going to say what it is) Still stroking 20 cords a year 3 stoves and a furnace.:)

Never said it was a record. But, I would bet splitter still has less than 40 hours on it max. I think that is pretty fast splitting.

I just bought the huskee 22 ton, for $ 999 and have split 3 cords with it. It has the power for the gnarly stuff, cycle speed 12sec, already put together, hyd fluid, oil ect, dot tires and a 3 year warranty, can't go wrong, as well as the dependable briggs & stratton motor.

Sent from my SGH-T759 using Tapatalk 2

I live in the northwest and cut the same wood as you do. We don't have TSC here but we do have Dels stores all over which is either a sister company or just a renamed TSC. Same thing.

Anyway, right now in WA Dels is offering the Huskee 22 ton model that is so loved on this site for 999$. The sale started yesterday and should go through the weekend at least. I bought one last week and already shoved 2 cords through it and it works great. The Huskee 22 is all you need.

It comes with hydro oil and even engine oil already assembled, just add gas and split.

And there is a Dels in Monroe, not to far from Oak Harbor

Highbeem, how do you know about the Dels sales? there web site sucks! and I get nothing in the mail from them. Do they sell North Idaho Logs?

Keep a eye on Craigslist, i got my22 ton Iron Oak with a Honda GX off craigslist for a decent price

Also dont assume Maple is the hardest wood you will aquire, a few years ago I ran into a big sore of Oak in Bellevue off craigslist and just a few months ago I got a load of elm out of Shoreline

Elm smelled like piss, just for grins I hit it a few time with my maul and my Fiskars, both just bounced off it, put it on the splitter and was not too bad, some was stringy, got it stacked in my 2014/15 reserve

I am going to Monroe in the morning then cutting wood after:)

I went with the Huskee 22 ton.....inexpensive. I have had a few minor issues with it, but nothing that would stop me from using it. I don't lend it out to too many people, it is inexpensive, and not sure it would take the abuse from being used like a commercial grade splitter. Whatever you get, I recommend something that can also go vertical

Status
Not open for further replies.