Sooteater PSA

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gthomas785

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 8, 2020
Central MA
Well it finally happened... I was cleaning my chimney from the top down because I have the awkward tee-in-the-wall setup, anyway I guess I didn't have the click lock fully engaged because the 2nd rod section fell straight out of the drill and down the chimney.
90 minutes of cursing and trying various sticky substances on a stick to retrieve it later, here's the PSA: it turns out that a piece of 3/4" schedule 40 PVC pipe has *exactly* the right internal diameter to socket onto the end of a sooteater rod with enough friction to lift at least 2 sections. Yes you need to get them lined up which took me about 3 minutes using a headlamp.