Solo Stove in Action

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Caw

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2020
Massachusetts

My brother in-law brought over his new Solo Stove to test out. I cut up some 16% ash and here was the result! Nice little product. Hardly any smoke once it gets rolling and you could feel the heat from 5 feet away on a 20 degree night.

My only complaint is that this more portable 19" version is a pain in the ass to load. It won't take full size 16" logs unless its smack in the middle due to the upper lip, you have to chunk up logs to get it good and full. Id definitely get the 27 or 36" if I were to get one for convenience and more heat but overall it's way better than a conventional fire pit.

Last edited:
That thing does look really cool.

I would like to know how much wood the big one would chew through in an evening. The kids call ours the instant marshmallow torcher.

I pack a tiny version for backpacking and it'll burner quick and hot using just deadfall twigs and forest trash. The housing even includes a smallish opening so you can feed it while cooking. I'd love to have the big brother version for a campfire. Maybe some day...

We bought the Pioneer, the mid-size of the three Solo fire pits.
After lighting it quickly takes up the secondary burn. So no qualms about offending smoke and possible objections from neighbors even when burning just bark. Very little heat directly beneath the unit, plus mine came with a stand that reduces heat underneath even more. I have it set on bricks in a natural depression in the lawn (always cool and never any dieback from heat).
As long as the wood isn't piled above the top secondary holes it produces no visible smoke, and maintains good secondary burn with great effects ! See OP's video of spiraling secondaries.
It is great for burning bits, bark & small chunks, burning small amounts of dry yard debris (rose prunings, weeds).
Ash cleanup is easy. When cool just roll the stove around the yard to cast ashes and fertilize yard.
It's great for ambiance. It pumps out the heat, but a critique is that much of the radiated heat of flame and coals is blocked by the double-walled stove itself with the majority going directly up. So it's a bit different than sitting around a campfire.

Reactions: LiamFitzpatrick