Snag advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It looks pretty rotten in your pic. I’m have no experience with that species. It looks like once you get the little one out of the way, releasing it from the root wad wouldn’t be life threatening but then it has your signature on it and it would need to be finished.
From my limited experience with cutting down trees, when oak snag like this, they shed water and don't rot nearly as fast as on the ground. The roots gave way on this one and couldn't support the weight, which leads me to believe it's pretty solid, but you really don't know what's inside till you crack it open.

Well, be careful if you decide to try and release it. To me, it doesn’t look like a very difficult trap to get down but it’s a common predicament in the logging industry. I’ve seen that scenario in big timber on steep ground blown uphill and it makes your mouth go dry while you’re getting it down. Anyways, trust your gut. It looks like a guy would be up a ways before you’d be able to start walking it very well. A come-along with some stretchy Manila rope might help it walk for you

One more thing, it looks like that bigger branch is the main holder. Might help to put turn on your purchase if you use a come-along. Basically create a spin on the log

Well, be careful if you decide to try and release it. To me, it doesn’t look like a very difficult trap to get down but it’s a common predicament in the logging industry. I’ve seen that scenario in big timber on steep ground blown uphill and it makes your mouth go dry while you’re getting it down. Anyways, trust your gut. It looks like a guy would be up a ways before you’d be able to start walking it very well. A come-along with some stretchy Manila rope might help it walk for you
I can only imagine what you've dealt with in your career. I have time to think about this tree, of course right now it's covered in ice. I've got a couple of snatch 'em straps that's great for stuff like this, we used them to get 4x4's unstuck.