Smokelite ceramic masonry spray

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gotboostido

Hearth Supporter
Jun 23, 2008
south shore, ma
So i had a chimney tech clean the flues. And he is recommending a smokelite spray application. To create a partition between the brick and fire. Just wanted to know is this a scare tatic. Or a legit need. He says if the bricks crack it will cost 2k to repair. My thinking is its been .like that for 45 years. Thanks

So i had a chimney tech clean the flues. And he is recommending a smokelite spray application. To create a partition between the brick and fire. Just wanted to know is this a scare tatic. Or a legit need. He says if the bricks crack it will cost 2k to repair. My thinking is its been .like that for 45 years. Thanks
What bricks are they talking about

Attachments

• Smokelite ceramic masonry spray
    1574714690904264825096.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 78
This is the smoke chamber. Im just wondering if he's trying to drum up some work
Do you have smoking problems or did they note clearance issues that needed addressed? Parking the smoke chamber could fix them. It would also take care of the cracked brick he referred to.

Do you have an issue with the existing damper or with water infiltration?

It does sound like they may be trying to sell you stuff you don't need. But that doesn't mean that it isn't needed.

Thanks for the reply. His wording is apply smokelite spray to fireplace smoke chamber to create partitian wall.
That is not at all what it does. It creates a layer in the smoke chamber that insulated it protecting combustibles that are to close it also smoothes out the corbeling improving smoke flow. I would not trust them honestly

Ask the Sweep for a more detailed explanation. If you do not clearly understand what he wants to do, why he wants to do it, and what it ultimately is supposed to do, then you cannot make a reasonable decision. The very fact you are hear with some doubt leads me to believe you may not understand what he wants to do. Call him back and tell him you have asked online with reputable and experienced individuals and they are unsure of its need. Hopefully he gives you a more detailed explanation. Take notes as he speaks so you can recall what he was saying. Then if you are still concerned, follow back up in this thread.