Smoke spilling out of back of stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We all had a tougher time in the NE yesterday with low draft, it was a little warmer out, but the humidity and low pressure from an approaching storm dialed things back, I notice yesterday evening when I threw a load of wood in the stove and went out, the smoke just seemed to be oozing out the top of the chimney, normally it flows out pretty well.

Reactions: KennyK
Thanks everyone! I'm feeling much better, as it seems like this isn't abnormal or a dangerous situation where fire is going to jump out of my stove, rather just that some smoke is sneaking out when there isn't a great draft (which so far hasn't been often nor for more than a minute start up from cold stove). Seems like maybe I should go put a little more stove cement around where the flue goes into the collar, as well as perhaps at the T and where the T connect with the liner - seem right?

The issue is most likely with the draft . . . you can try sealing around the flue and collar, but most likely the smoke will just come out somewhere else until the draft is established.

As mentioned there are some "tricks" . . . heating up the area first with a candle or torch to establish a draft, opening a nearby window, etc.