Smoke in basement from fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

boatsnavy

Dec 3, 2019
Ivoryton, Connecticut
Hello,

I recently had my boiler replaced, they capped off the old vent/chimney with just a flimsy tin cover. Now that I’m using my fire place my basement smells like smoke, this never happened Ed before the new boiler. The new boiler direct vents outside the basement wall. I did tape of over the tin cap they installed, but if it did help, it wasn’t much at all. Is there anything I can do that would prevent me from having to travel to the top of the chimney? Thanks

Attachments

• Smoke in basement from fireplace
    2DAF581F-E429-4A83-B9D3-11304B7DB883.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 113
    44A3557F-4417-4BDA-B132-9CF63DF7A9BC.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 120
    61B36813-7D45-4C3A-BF58-EF7682F551BA.jpeg
    125 KB · Views: 123
    24307612-1B60-4930-9C9C-41B1CB8187D7.jpeg
    105.5 KB · Views: 119
    0EE7547C-8DFD-4F6C-9C63-1E74EA406F2B.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 123
Try taping the periphery of that cover too.
There is probably an air gap above the firestop
that goes all the way to the chase top.
You may have to caulk the framing above the firestop, too,
where there are gaps in the floor joists that box in the chase.

Reactions: boatsnavy
Since you had a professional do the work and the issue was not present prior to their work I would call them and have them fix it

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

We had a similar problem. If I crack a window in the room with the fireplace when I start the fire, the proper draft gets created and smoke goes where it should. I can close the window a few minutes later.

Otherwise, the smoke goes down the cleanout chute into the utility room and up the warm boiler flue.

We'll be installing our insert soon...hoping I don't need to do the same thing with the stove...

Nice job insulating the pipes! You burn painted stuff in open fire place? I see looks like old furniture legs in you kindling bucket. I’d avoid painted or manufactured wood in open fireplace.

Nice job insulating the pipes! You burn painted stuff in open fire place? I see looks like old furniture legs in you kindling bucket. I’d avoid painted or manufactured wood in open fireplace.

Good eye! Those legs just show up everywhere, but they definitely won’t be burned, certainly not in the fireplace.

Hello,

I recently had my boiler replaced, they capped off the old vent/chimney with just a flimsy tin cover. Now that I’m using my fire place my basement smells like smoke, this never happened Ed before the new boiler. The new boiler direct vents outside the basement wall. I did tape of over the tin cap they installed, but if it did help, it wasn’t much at all. Is there anything I can do that would prevent me from having to travel to the top of the chimney? Thanks
Hello, Roger here with 36 years in the industry as well as a wood stove inventor and manufacturer relying because I've always found this an interesting topic.
My initial thought is that the boiler is drawing enough combustion air to create a negative pressure at the fireplace opening. To test the theory try burning the fireplace when boiler is not running. If no Smoke is present or noticeable then chances are that's the issue. Simple fixes could mean elevating the fire on a grate or reducing the size of the fireplace opening especially at the top. A set of glass doors could be a great addition. This is something the service provider should know about but isn't necessarily responsible for as the boiler system may have changed barometric pressures within the home and the fireplace was close to this condition already.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk