Smoke from the vent of England's insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

4dimad

Hearth Supporter
Jul 4, 2008
MA
Hello, I have England's Summers Heat 13NCI. Haven't used stove for about 2 years. Yesterday tried to test it , burned a few newspapers, and noticed smoke comes out of the top vent (see the picture). What could be wrong? TIA

Attachments

• Smoke from the vent of England's insert
    stove1.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 74
Probably negative pressure is pushing smoke out the intakes. Did you get the stove up to temp or just burn a few sheets of paper? Basement installation?

Reactions: 4dimad
Probably negative pressure is pushing smoke out the intakes. Did you get the stove up to temp or just burn a few sheets of paper? Basement installation?
Just burned a few newspapers, not up to the temp. Yes, basement installation.

Could be the HX is rusted out too. When you discontinued using it, did you bother to clean it out and spray the insides with fogging oil?

Burn another ball of paper and watch to see if the smoke is getting sucked up the flue as it should, or is subject to negative pressure and getting pushed around and down by air coming in down the flue instead.

if cold air is coming down you have a reverse draft and need to get hot air going up the flue first. Lots of remedies, search here for reverse draft

And as mentioned above do make sure it looks sound, ie not rusted out as well before a burning a full load.

Could be the HX is rusted out too. When you discontinued using it, did you bother to clean it out and spray the insides with fogging oil?
By hx I assume you mean heat exchanger. Which there really isn't one the firebox itself would need to be rusted out which is possible but very unlikely.

My bet would be there was no draft and the smoke was either coming out the file collar or out the intakes right below those arrows

Could also just be dust bunnies burning off after a few years of sitting. Doesn't sound like you got it hot enough to do that but when you do I would expect some smells or smoke from dust

If you haven't burned in 2 yrs, check the flue to make sure something hasn't made a nest in there and plugged it up.