Smoke From Blower Vents?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

troutrus

Dec 18, 2017
Eden, NC
Bought a house two + years ago. Came with a Buck Insert. Not sure of model number, but has the catalytic setup and blower to distribute heat into the house. Ran great for two winters, and now into my third season. First couple uses this year, no problem and all of the sudden have a problem with significant smoke blowing into the house from the blower vents. Can’t use it. Any ideas on why this happens and what I need to do to correct the problem? Appreciate any advice.
Thanks!
Bob

That's not a good sign. First, make sure no combustible debris got sucked into the blower intake. Second, check the chimney and chimney cap for clogging. Cap screen plugging is a fairly common occurrence. If nothing obvious then the insert may need to be pulled to inspect the integrity of the flue collar area and the firebox sealing. There should be zero chance of smoke in the firebox escaping into the convection jacket.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Does the insert have a liner connected to it that goes all the way to the top? A quick look at the top should be a dead give away.

Reactions: begreen
That's not a good sign. First, make sure no combustible debris got sucked into the blower intake. Second, check the chimney and chimney cap for clogging. Cap screen plugging is a fairly common occurrence. If nothing obvious then the insert may need to be pulled to inspect the integrity of the flue collar area and the firebox sealing. There should be zero chance of smoke in the firebox escaping into the convection jacket.
Thanks for your reply. I will get on the roof to check chimney and cap. Where would the blower intake be located?

Thanks for your reply. I will get on the roof to check chimney and cap. Where would the blower intake be located?
Need more information on the model or at least a picture to tell.

I would think it's gotta be like @webby3650 says..no liner to the top. But why did it work for a couple years with no problem?? Or somehow the firebox is open to the convection jacket..a cracked weld or something? Not very likely, I wouldn't think. You might call Buck and ask them..they have probably seen everything that can possibly happen with the stove.
First pic is from the left front, showing the ash pan and expanded-metal panel that holds the rheostat and switch. Middle pic is with ash pan out and electrical control panel off. You can see the motor is still mounted and the insulation on top of it. Intakes air from the bottom, near the floor. Third pic, blower out. Fourth pic shows the blower snout and the gasket that goes around the end, where it pokes through into the convection jacket. Kinda hard to visualize until you start taking it apart.
Still going with webby's theory as the most likely, though..

Smoke From Blower Vents? Smoke From Blower Vents? Smoke From Blower Vents? Smoke From Blower Vents?

Thank you all very much for your input. Definitely gives me ideas on where to look and what to look for. The pictures are great.
Thanks again!
Bob

I'd yank the front surround before burning again and do a visual check to look for:
  • a stainless liner connected to the stove.
  • if there is a liner is it seated properly?
  • significant rusting due to water leakage on top of the stove
  • soot trails or any obvious defect
If all looks good there, get on the roof or at least take some binoculars and look at the top of the chimney. Is there a screen? If yes, is it plugged?