Smoke Coming Into House with Regency CI2601 wood insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If you have any windows near the stove, open one up a few inches before opening the by-pass, then do you normal open the stove door routine, lets see if its a negative house pressure issue.

Reactions: bholler
I can't see if there buildup in liner. The last chimney sweeper I had here used a medusa head cleaner and really seemed to do a good thorough job. Even if I keep the bypass open all the way all the time with the fire burning, there will still be smoke that comes into the house when I open the door.

I also tried to keep off the fan for a few hours to see if prevents smoke from coming in and it doesn't stop.
Did the cleaning stop the smoking issue?

And do what Kenny said. I don't know why I didn't think to suggest that as well.

The cleaning did not stop the smoke issue. Cracking two windows (13 feet away from fireplace) for 5 minutes did not help at all.
I should mention that when the bypass is closed, there is very little flames if at all mostly the wood starts smoldering after a while. I remember last year after the fire was roaring if the bypass was closed halfway the fire would still roar but not as much.

The cleaning did not stop the smoke issue. Cracking two windows (13 feet away from fireplace) for 5 minutes did not help at all.
I should mention that when the bypass is closed, there is very little flames if at all mostly the wood starts smoldering after a while. I remember last year after the fire was roaring if the bypass was closed halfway the fire would still roar but not as much.
Your wood is way to wet. We know that. So it isn't going to burn right. But it shouldn't be smoking with the bypass open and air opened up ahead of time

Your wood is way to wet. We know that. So it isn't going to burn right. But it shouldn't be smoking with the bypass open and air opened up ahead of time
This morning, I swept out the whole fireplace, kept an inch of ash on bottom, using a few pieces of dry wood from Home Depot. Still smoked. I am at a loss.

This morning, I swept out the whole fireplace, kept an inch of ash on bottom, using a few pieces of dry wood from Home Depot. Still smoked. I am at a loss.
What type of wood was it? If it was the firewood packs they usually aren't very dry either. Try some 2xs or compressed wood bricks. What temp are you closing the bypass at?

What type of wood was it? If it was the firewood packs they usually aren't very dry either. Try some 2xs or compressed wood bricks. What temp are you closing the bypass at?

Honestly, I don't know what wood it was. I tried Durflame and then Biobricks. Both Smoked.

I don't know what temp I am closing the bypass at. That wasn't an issue last year. After the fire had decent flames, I would close it most of the way. What temperature ideally should I close the bypass at.

The highest temp I am getting is 650 - but most of the time it is 450-500

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't know what wood it was. I tried Durflame and then Biobricks. Both Smoked.

I don't know what temp I am closing the bypass at. That wasn't an issue last year. After the fire had decent flames, I would close it most of the way. What temperature ideally should I close the bypass at.

The highest temp I am getting is 650 - but most of the time it is 450-500
Do you have the digital cat monitor?

Then you should shut the bypass around 500. What does the temp do when you do that?

ok cat monitor read 500, I shut the bypass closed. the temp stayed at 500, not many flames, just smoldering wood after several minutes. I then waited for five minutes, opened the bypass, waited 2 minutes, opened the door and smoke still came in.

ok cat monitor read 500, I shut the bypass closed. the temp stayed at 500, not many flames, just smoldering wood after several minutes. I then waited for five minutes, opened the bypass, waited 2 minutes, opened the door and smoke still came in.
If the cat temp doesn't go up when you shut the bypass your cat is completely shot

The cat does have a sizable hole (size of a quarter) and a few other places its starting to crumble, waiting for the replacement to come. Would that cause so much smoke to come in?
Yesterday, I had the bypass half open, temp was 400. I then shut the bypass closed and the temp went to 500.
I should not, when I went up today the roof to inspect the chimney screen, there was smoke coming up and outside.

The cat does have a sizable hole (size of a quarter) and a few other places its starting to crumble, waiting for the replacement to come. Would that cause so much smoke to come in?
Yesterday, I had the bypass half open, temp was 400. I then shut the bypass closed and the temp went to 500.
I should not, when I went up today the roof to inspect the chimney screen, there was smoke coming up and outside.
Let the temp monitor get to 550F or 600F, and then close the bypass, don't put it halfway. Temps should rise unless your wood is "quite wet."

Let the temp monitor get to 550F or 600F, and then close the bypass, don't put it halfway. Temps should rise unless your wood is "quite wet."
Why are you closing the bypass halfway?

I think whats happening here is overly opening the door, I'll agree that the cat is prob shot due to poorly seasoned wood being used from seasons before, and thermal shock from opening the door. You cant get water to burn in these stoves, best to replace the cat, buy compressed wood bricks or not burn at all this season.

Why are you closing the bypass halfway?

I think whats happening here is overly opening the door, I'll agree that the cat is prob shot due to poorly seasoned wood being used from seasons before, and thermal shock from opening the door. You cant get water to burn in these stoves, best to replace the cat, buy compressed wood bricks or not burn at all this season.

Great thank you. I will see what happens when the the cat is replaced

Great thank you. I will see what happens when the the cat is replaced
Get some decent wood first or you will just destroy the new one with thermal shock

Because if I close it completely, the fire almost dies out and just starts smoldering, no flame.
That is your wood for sure. In a properly working cat stove just smouldering is fine. But your cat isn't lighting off

Update - Installed a new cat. Got a some dry seasoned from a reputable fireplace/firewood dealer and it is still smoking. I am at a complete loss. At this point, with my limited knowledge, I have tried everything. Can anyone recommend a repair guy in CT or in MA? I live on the CT/MA border. Thank you

Last edited:
Did we ever determine if it had a full insulated liner? I have 17' of 6" pipe on my cat stove and I would say its marginal. If I'm burning real hot it drafts, if it's about at the end of its run it doesn't smoke. But occasionally on a semi hot reload I get smoke in the house. Probably more to do with my impatience and not waiting long enough to get the draft strong again before I open the door. The take home is that I cant imagine burning a cat stove on a less than adequate chimney. I would be curious of the exact height and dimensions of your chimney and whether its lined or not.

UPDATE: So both chimney sweepers missed a roughly softball chunk of creosote in my chimney. I bought a medusa head and the metal poles (sorry if not correct terminology), got on my roof, took the cap off and manually used the sweeper. A softball chunk of creosote fell down. Chimney was clogged, I cleaned the chimney thoroughly after. Started a fire - no issues!! Have had a warm house for almost 2 weeks now. Thank you for everyone's help on this. And no, I won't be using the two chimney sweep companies ever again especially now that I have my own equipment. Have a good weekend!