Smoke Coming Into House with Regency CI2601 wood insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

keithjrivers

Jan 1, 2020
Connecticut
I have a Regency Ci2601 wood insert. Came with the house. I burned wood all last winter with it no problems.
In Early Sept - got the chimney swept and again in December from two different companies.

The issue I have is that when a fire is going, when I open the door, smoke pours into the house. The fire is also not that strong like it has in the past.
Before I open the door, I open the Catalyst bypass control and put the primary air damper to the left. I wait 6-7 minutes, slowly open the door and it still smokes.

I tested the wood for moisture - it reads 24-26. I went outside and there is smoke coming from the chimney.

I have called Regency twice and left voicemails. No response. I have called several dealers - with no luck.

I did have a repair tech out here and he said the cat converter needs to be replaced due to some damage -but it shouldn't cause that much smoke to come into house.
I am literally desperate to get this working. I have a newborn and a 1.5 year old. It is freezing in my house. Please help so I dont have to move in temporary with my inlaws! Thank you everyone and Happy New Years!

Last edited:
I have a Regency Ci2601 wood insert. Came with the house. I burned wood all last winter with it no problems.
In Early Sept - got the chimney swept and again in December from two different companies.

The issue I have is that when a fire is going, when I open the door, smoke pours into the house. The fire is also not that strong like it has in the past.
Before I open the door, I open the Catalyst bypass control and put the primary air damper to the left. I wait 6-7 minutes, slowly open the door and it still smokes.

I tested the wood for moisture - it reads 24-26. I went outside and there is smoke coming from the chimney.

I have called Regency twice and left voicemails. No response. I have called several dealers - with no luck.

I did have a repair tech out here and he said the cat converter needs to be replaced due to some damage -but it shouldn't cause that much smoke to come into house.
I am literally desperate to get this working. I have a newborn and a 1.5 year old. It is freezing in my house. Please help so I dont have to move in temporary with my inlaws! Thank you everyone and Happy New Years!
The cat shouldn't cause smoke back when the bypass is open. How did you test your wood? Was it tested on a freshly split room temp face? Regardless your wood is way to wet and that is certainly a contributing factor.

But how tall is your chimney? Does it have a full length insulated liner?

The cat shouldn't cause smoke back when the bypass is open. How did you test your wood? Was it tested on a freshly split room temp face? Regardless your wood is way to wet and that is certainly a contributing factor.

But how tall is your chimney? Does it have a full length insulated liner?

First off, Thank you so much for replying. I have a hormonal wife, 1 kid complaining he is cold and my new born has two layers and a fleece blanket on at all times.

I tested the wood, by splitting a few pieces and using a moisture meter at room temp. From a few people in this area, that is normal wetness for New England. But I dont know. This is the same wood I used last year with no issues at all.

Chimney is two stories tall. It starts in the lower level - lower level is half underground and half not. House is a split.
Im not sure if I have a full length insulated liner - I will have to investigate it.

From my limited knowledge and reading the manual 5,000 times. I think maybe the bypass rod got separated from the fork or loosened up from the fork, making the flue not completely open when I open the bypass. I dont know how to fix this without, taking the insert completely apart.

First off, Thank you so much for replying. I have a hormonal wife, 1 kid complaining he is cold and my new born has two layers and a fleece blanket on at all times.

I tested the wood, by splitting a few pieces and using a moisture meter at room temp. From a few people in this area, that is normal wetness for New England. But I dont know. This is the same wood I used last year with no issues at all.

Chimney is two stories tall. It starts in the lower level - lower level is half underground and half not. House is a split.
Im not sure if I have a full length insulated liner - I will have to investigate it.

From my limited knowledge and reading the manual 5,000 times. I think maybe the bypass rod got separated from the fork or loosened up from the fork, making the flue not completely open when I open the bypass. I dont know how to fix this without, taking the insert completely apart.
If it did come unthreaded from the fork it can just be threaded back in from inside the firebox. It is really easy to check just look up at the bypass inside the firebox and see if it moved when you pull the rod.

If it did come unthreaded from the fork it can just be threaded back in from inside the firebox. It is really easy to check just look up at the bypass inside the firebox and see if it moved when you pull the rod.

Sorry for the stupid question, but if I look up at the bypass and the fork came unthreaded, how do I fix it? Do I remove the bypass rod by turning clockwise and trying to line it back up with the fork? I assume I have to do this relatively blindly with a mirror to look into flue and by feeling around? Thank you

Sorry for the stupid question, but if I look up at the bypass and the fork came unthreaded, how do I fix it? Do I remove the bypass rod by turning clockwise and trying to line it back up with the fork? I assume I have to do this relatively blindly with a mirror to look into flue and by feeling around? Thank you
I just do it blind by feel

I just do it blind by feel
OK. I was able to check the bypass, and the bypass control rod does open and close the opening. I tried it 30 times, back and forth to make sure it was opening and closing. Smoke pours into the house, when the door is opened only when the fire is roaring. If there is just a little bit of wood left or red hot coals no smoke comes into house when door is opened.

Any other ideas on what it could be? Thanks for the help.

OK. I was able to check the bypass, and the bypass control rod does open and close the opening. I tried it 30 times, back and forth to make sure it was opening and closing. Smoke pours into the house, when the door is opened only when the fire is roaring. If there is just a little bit of wood left or red hot coals no smoke comes into house when door is opened.

Do you have a damper on the stovepipe ??
If so, it definitely needs to be opened before the loading door..

Also, you could have a clogged sparkscreen at the top of your stack..

Do you have a damper on the stovepipe ??
If so, it definitely needs to be opened before the loading door..

Also, you could have a clogged sparkscreen at the top of your stack..

Yes I have a damper that I open every time before I load.

I will check the chimney sparkscreen tomorrow when its light out. There seems to be enough smoke coming out of the chimney but it could be backed up. Thanks for the idea

The only thing left is clogged flue or screen. Which is certainly possible in a month using wood that is that far over the required 20% moisture content.

Yes I have a damper that I open every time before I load.

I will check the chimney sparkscreen tomorrow when its light out. There seems to be enough smoke coming out of the chimney but it could be backed up. Thanks for the idea
If you do have a screen, I’d get rid of it !!

Really? Ok, Doesnt that prevent birds and critters from getting in?
In theory, yes...
But birds in chimneys are’nt nearly as problematic or as common as plugged bird/spark screens in the middle of winter..
My King has been running for 5 winters now.... not one bird..

Even if the screen is clogged smoke will still come out, I know from experience.

Wood is the sole source of heat? Nothing else?

In theory, yes...
But birds in chimneys are’nt nearly as problematic or as common as plugged bird/spark screens in the middle of winter..
My King has been running for 5 winters now.... not one bird..
That depends I had to steal my cap for a job. It was off 3 days and I had a nest in the chimney when I went to put it back on.

I'd definitely check the screen. Mine was horrible for getting plugged. Even with 15% wood. I pulled mine out. Birds will get in there. Let a bird out of the stove that has been rolling in ash all day them watch them hit every white wall as they work their way out of the house. Makes quite a mess! Luckily all the small birds are gone by the time I start burning. When I put the stove to bed in the spring I have a flat piece of expanded metal that I put inside the cap to cover the pipe

My screen comes off for burn season.

There was no screen. Cap was not clogged.
Smoke Coming Into House with Regency CI2601 wood insert

Attachments

• Smoke Coming Into House with Regency CI2601 wood insert
    IMG_3370.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 189
Yikes! I’m sure it’s expensive, hopefully this gets sorted out soon. Congrats on new family member!! Good luck.

There was no screen. Cap was not clogged. View attachment 254606
There is a screen but clearly it's not clogged. Can you see if there is much buildup in the liner? It obviously is burning really dirty because of the wet wood. What temp do you shut the bypass at?

There is a screen but clearly it's not clogged. Can you see if there is much buildup in the liner? It obviously is burning really dirty because of the wet wood. What temp do you shut the bypass at?

I can't see if there buildup in liner. The last chimney sweeper I had here used a medusa head cleaner and really seemed to do a good thorough job. Even if I keep the bypass open all the way all the time with the fire burning, there will still be smoke that comes into the house when I open the door.

I also tried to keep off the fan for a few hours to see if prevents smoke from coming in and it doesn't stop.