Smoke and CO2 detectors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RISurfer20

Hearth Supporter
May 12, 2007
Just installed my wood stove. Just wondering where and how far away smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors should be placed around the wood stove. Thanks.

My CO2 detector is about 5 feet away (plugged into an outlet) but that's more because that was the only available/visible outlet I have in the room where my insert is. I wanted to keep my detector in the same room, as I figure that will give the earliest warning if there is a problem, but I'm not to worried about where in the room it is (it's been in several locations based on where furniture was).

Smoke detector is upstairs (which is really only 3 steps up to the raised level of our ranch) directly across from where insert is.

1 smoke detector for every level of your home, one just outside the stove room is good, it will catch anything but less prone to false alarms.

CO detectors should be located outside the sleeping area. CO is the same vapour density as room air and it will mix equally at all levels of your home. You want to be able to hear the alarm while sleeping, that is when you are at the greatest risk. During the day you are more able to recognise the symptoms of poisoning (dizziness, nausea, fatigue) and hear the alarm anyway.

I'm sure that others will chime in as well, but I would place a CO detector in the room with the stove and one outside the bedrooms. Depending on the layout of the house, you may want additional detectors to have one on each level of the home.

You should have a smoke detector in each bedroom and a minimum of one on each level of the home. When you place them, think about where smoke will travel first and where there will be dead air spots. For example, it looks nicer to tuck a smoke detector in the corner of the bedroom behind the door. It should really be located farther in the room, since that is where the smoke will travel to first when it passes the header over the door opening. Smoke will also be drawn up open stairwells, so placing a detector in that path is a good location.

There is alot of misinformation out there.....

The best thing to do is read the paperwork that comes with the detector and follow that.

Most MFG's state NOT to located a CO detector within close proximity of a fuel burning appliance. Low levels of CO will prematurely darken the chemically treated gel in the less expensive detectors and you will get false alarms. They only have about a 5yr lifespan as it is.

Our municipal code says that a CO detector has to be just outside the sleeping area if you have a fireplace. They don't care if you have one near the fireplace.

great place for advice also is the local FIRE DEPT some municipalities will even look at the house layout and advise best locations,

note also , make sure that you have battery backup devices not just plug in or hardwired and check them regularly in case of power failure, more deaths due to co poisonings and smoke related incedents happen during these times (really because folks try to heat with whatever they can(open oven doors , kerosine heaters without ventilation etc.) instead of safer traditional ways such as wood, but it gives me an opportunity to preach

stepping down off my soapbox now....

Gunner, I agree that a CO detector shouldn't be too close to the stove, but I do like having one in on the same level of the house (as well as outside the bedrooms).

Google your state's building code...everything you need is in there.

Your municipality make building codes freely available?
What is the web link?

Status
Not open for further replies.