Slow Delivery of Harman parts??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

symss

Hearth Supporter
Nov 10, 2006
Hi, folks-

I ordered a Harman P68 stove in July, got it installed in early September. Although the vendor knew the location of the stove since their first visit in July, they didn't order the side heat shield that I needed until early September, telling me that it would be a week.

It's now November, I have no heat shield. They're telling me that I can run my stove on low, but they'll give me no certification letter for my house insurance. They've got my money, they really don't care.

They're blaming the delay on Harman- Harman doesn't have any contact information that I can see from their site- I have an $8,000 stove that I can't run and it's getting cool.

Any recommendations on how I should proceed?

tks

S

Its taken me 2 months to get heat shields for the p68's we've sold, but finally got them, just a few days ago. Its odd too, because it isnt an often-sold part. Do you require the heat shields to meet the side setback requirements? If you do, Id have to say not to run the stove until you have them, since you wouldnt be following the manufacturer's recommendations...also, any inspector should fail you for failing to supply the minimum clearances. Now, if you are over 20" from a sidewall without them, you should be able to use the stove. You can try to contact other Harman dealers who might actually stock them...even though they are hard to get, many dealers try to keep at least one in stock.....hopefully they'd ship to you....then, if you got them, get a refund from your dealer, install them yourself...its quite easy...4 screws is all.
It very might well be a Harman issue, as Ive seen many parts be exceedingly hard to obtain, such as sideshields, thru-the-wall kits, legsets, etc. The dealers cant control Harman.
As for your stove....$8000.00?!!!! You have got to be kidding me! That stove should be between $2700-$3000!!!!! Even installed, it really shouldnt exceed $4000!!!! If the stove did cost you $8,000, I would immediately tell the dealer you want your money back, and go somewhere else, or buy a different stove, but not from that dealer...that price is absolutely ludicrous! Im thinking its a typo.
Please dont be shy....let us all know whats going on!

I seen that $8,000. install price ................

I thought maybe Harman came out with the low rider , gold "BLING" , DVD in the back package.

Roospike said:
I seen that $8,000. install price ................

I thought maybe Harman came out with the low rider , gold "BLING" , DVD in the back package.

Harley Davidson is right up the road from Harman.......maybe the factories got cross-linked!

Regarding the shield, where are you located? I have some insider contacts in the Harman realm.

He said Halifax, let's hope it's not Halifax PA as that's where the Harmans are made ;-)

And Craig I made some calls today on pellets in my area and updated them on the pricing thread, And you may notice the higher than average prices in my area, this is why I will drive an extra 10 minutes or so to save 50 bucks a ton. I may even pay Harry a visit and try out those softwood premiums. :)

Thanks! I am going to continue work and development on the idea of sharing fuel costs. You can see the beginnings of a new way to get there at:
http://www.forfuel.com

funny, I registered that URL many years ago with the thought of perhaps doing something like this someday.....

GVA said:
He said Halifax, let's hope it's not Halifax PA as that's where the Harmans are made ;-)

And Craig I made some calls today on pellets in my area and updated them on the pricing thread, And you may notice the higher than average prices in my area, this is why I will drive an extra 10 minutes or so to save 50 bucks a ton. I may even pay Harry a visit and try out those softwood premiums. :)

Yeah, GVA...wouldnt that stink if he was from Halifax, PA!? I guessed maybe Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Youre welcome anytime here, GVA...gimme a call first tho, check stock, hours, etc. The next day Im closed is Thanksgiving Day, then Christmas.

Hi, folks-

I sacrificed accuracy in my post when I said the stove was $8000 - it was actually $6428 which included a P68, installation and taxes. I got the stove from Country Hearth and Fireplace in Dartmouth.

I'm in Halifax, Nova Scotia, so there's an exchange on the Canadian dollar issue, shipping, etc. This price was at par with other quotes I've gotten.

I'm still waiting on my heat shield. The site visit was done on June 15th, stove installation in early September. When I asked the sales guy why the heat shield wasn't ordered June, he said that they always wait for the installation before ordering these kinds of parts, just in case the client changes his/her mind.

The sales guy at Country Hearth isn't returning my calls. I woudn't recommend these folks- I think their success has made them arrogant.

Does anyone have a heat shield for the P68 they can sell me? I'm willing to pay Canadian prices :).....

tks for listening to my rant.

S

I have similar problems with Harman dealers IN MY AREA. The ones around me simply just are not professional operations. It's like buying a stove from your long lost cousin Billy Bob. You don't get a sense that you are talking to a stove expert and parts and service take forever.

Hi, folks-

Just thought I'd update my original post.

Country Hearth of Dartmouth, Nova Scotia promised me that the heat shield would be in on December 1st. I've received no calls from them, but managed to get the parts department today and they indicated that there was no heat shield for me.

I've left messages with the sales guy and the store owner who I dealt with before, and had no call backs.

Wow. If I'd only known this before I ordered the stove from them back in June!!

Thanks to Kevin of Squier Lumber who's got some shields and is sending one up from Mass.

tks

S
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Roospike said:
Thats crazy.

It sure is. I can't believe a person has to get a stove or parts from thousands of miles away.

Oh. Uh. Never mind.

geez Scott....dont compliment me before I even send you the part! If I am the nefarious dealer folks talk about so much here, I'll wait till you give me the money, then not send them, or at least say they are "lost in the mail" ;-P . Actually, I had a fine time chatting with Scott today on the phone, tried my best to get him to find me some cheap real estate in Nova Scotia, to no avail....waterfront, of course....it'll go well with my holdings on the Caiman Islands and Costa Rica. Got a nice place next door to Elvis....hes shacked up with Sasquatch and Jim Morrison, kinda living a communal life.....dont tell tho, ok?
In truth folks, I just happen to be lucky and have the part Scott is looking for in stock. Ive never shipped parts before, so, tomorrow im getting rates from the post office to ship them fast to Scott, he'll pick out which rate he wants, and I'll ship them. Its possible given the complaints here that there is money to be made in shipping parts...I'll have to look into it some more. Always a pleasure to deal with an upbeat, nice customer such as Scott, even given what he paid and how he was treated.

BrotherBart said:
Roospike said:
Thats crazy.

It sure is. I can't believe a person has to get a stove or parts from thousands of miles away.

Oh. Uh. Never mind.
Well they dont but it make for a great story. %-P

hi scott,
just adding one little thing, we have shipped some parts to canada on occasion and one thing that is different is the "tarriff" that is apparantly charged , it can be a little different than shipping state to state in the u.s. you and harryback might want to get together and get your tracking info if these things are going ups to make sure you have that ironed out so the shipment isnt delayed on account of this tarriff. im sure that if this little obstical is headed off that you will be up and running right quick (kudo's to harryback for getting our northern neighbor squared away

mike esw

oops, forgot other reason for this post , to our illustrious webmaster, i looked at the "forfuel" page , its a gem , if i ok it with my it guys do you have a problem with me posting that link on our website? lemme know, i wouldnt do it without your ok.

mike esw

Also UPS will slap Scott with a $35 "customs brokerage" fee. The shipping bill you sign when you ship with them authorizes them to act as the customs broker and charge for it.

well, thanks for the help, all. Later today, Im going to the post office and see how much all this is.....I know, they are gummint emplyees, but at the moment, I'll defer to their expertise. Im sure Scott will check on his end as well.

Hi Scott
Contact info for the manufacturer of Harman Stoves:
Harman Stove Company
352 Mountain House Road
Halifax, Pennsylvania 17032
USA
(717) 362-9080

GOOD LUCK!

Status
Not open for further replies.