slate tile hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

raybonz

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 5, 2008
Carver, MA.
I was at Lowes the other day and noticed they carried genuine 12" sq. slate tiles made in India.. Has anyone used these and how did you cement them in.. One stove I looked at only stated they needed a non-combustible hearth.. Based on that can I use a layer of 3/4" plywood along with a layer or 2 of cement topped by real slate tile cemented on that with a dark grout? The slate tile would really work for setup and they were not expensive at $2.07 each..

Ray

I built my hearth with 18" travertine tiles -the slate should be very similar (stronger actually)

Two layers of 1/2" cement board thin set together with thinset to hold the tile - the thinset I used was listed for hearth applications though...

The cement board was placed on a grid of metal studs - used a fire rated adhesive designed for metal to masonry and screws (lots)

This combination has held up to my niece (~160lbs), who is autistic, jumping and slamming her feet on the tile without any cracks - if it can stand up to that I doubt it will ever give me any problems.

If you have the height, why not build the hearth to ~R1.5-2 so you are not locked into a particular stove in the future?

Just a heads up. I haven't seen these tiles, so they may be fine. However, cheap slate can be flakey, literally. Check the stack of slates to see if there are several pieces that have chips or flakes that can easily be peeled off of them. If so, I would pass for local NE slate.

I built my hearth out of the 12'' tiles that I got from home depot. Went over an existing cement floor. Came out nice. Just make sure you get the right thickness of a tile to handle the weight.

Aaron Pasteris said:
used a fire rated adhesive designed for metal to masonry

do you think the adhesive is necessary? im about to put my cement board in themetal studds soon

greythorn3 said:
Aaron Pasteris said:

do you think the adhesive is necessary? im about to put my cement board in themetal studds soon

No adhesive needed, just screw every 8" to the studs.

BeGreen said:
greythorn3 said:
Aaron Pasteris said:

Are studs necessary and is there an advantage to using studs?

Ray

Depends on the stove, hearth requirements and setup. When in doubt, it's better to overkill than not. But a layer of micore under the cement board will do the same.

That said, if you are certain of the stove and it just requires ember protection, then no studs needed.

BeGreen said:
Depends on the stove, hearth requirements and setup. When in doubt, it's better to overkill than not. But a layer of micore under the cement board will do the same.

That said, if you are certain of the stove and it just requires ember protection, then no studs needed.

I would use 2 layers of 1/2" Durock and maybe 3/4" plywood under that with tile on top... Never see Micore around here and if I don't need it no problem.. I may just raise it on 2x4's though..

Ray

I am backing BeGreen on the quality. I bought mine from a company in Vermont that sells online. The quality is unbeleivable and the clefting of the stone was nearly perfect on every one. The cost will be a little higher that the box stores, but the quality will surpass. These are just about as smooth as a baby's bottom.

I set mine in thinset over a few inches of cured concrete. This was over 3/4" plywood glued and screwed to a rebuilt 2x frame with joist hangers. Solid.

Here is the link. It could be a nice day trip from where you are.

http://www.vermontslatedepot.com/

fishingpol said:
I am backing BeGreen on the quality. I bought mine from a company in Vermont that sells online. The quality is unbeleivable and the clefting of the stone was nearly perfect on every one. The cost will be a little higher that the box stores, but the quality will surpass. These are just about as smooth as a baby's bottom.

I set mine in thinset over a few inches of cured concrete. This was over 3/4" plywood glued and screwed to a rebuilt 2x frame with joist hangers. Solid.

Here is the link. It could be a nice day trip from where you are.

http://www.vermontslatedepot.com/

Thanx for the info! I will look up the location and plan a trip there.. From what you describe I assume clefting means uniform tile thickness? If so that is a plus as the Lowes slates were various thicknesses, something I didn't like very much..

Ray

Clefting is the way they are split with a chisel. Maybe I exagerrated on the smoothness. How about a baby's bottom with a few pimples :sick: The thickness of my box of slate was very uniform. One box did a 2' x 5' hearth in front of my fireplace. None damaged during shipping either. It thinking of someday redoing my coffee table top in the living room with tile built into it. I'm also glad I supported the local economy.

greythorn3 said:
Aaron Pasteris said:

I doubt the adhesive was needed but I wasn't taking any chances.

For $7 bucks extra, I know it would have cracked if I DIDN'T use it ;-P

Aaron

raybonz said:
BeGreen said:
greythorn3 said:
Aaron Pasteris said:

Metal studs were to raise the hearth with a non-combustable - no PFM involved

Aaron

Ray

Aaron Pasteris said:
raybonz said:
BeGreen said:
greythorn3 said:
Aaron Pasteris said:

Aaron

Ray

What is pfm?

any pics of that slate one? i did tavertine last time, its pretty soft stuff but thats what our flooring was so we had extra i just made a hearth outa for the blazeking, it only realy needed ember protetion tho..

this time im thinking slate also. i dont mind if it chips as im going to set the stove on and not move it around hopefully

im thinking about busting up some slate rock we got around the yard to put on it, it would be varying thicknesses so it would be kinda neat i think. i can aways smash some spacers out or chip it where i need it shorter for the stoves legs.

Here are 2 pics of mine. It is level with the floor. It needs spring cleaning of the ash around it.

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] slate tile hearth
    DSC09250.webp
    21.5 KB · Views: 605
  • [Hearth.com] slate tile hearth
    DSC09247.webp
    48.5 KB · Views: 608
fishingpol said:
Here are 2 pics of mine. It is level with the floor. It needs spring cleaning of the ash around it.

Hey real nice job on that hearth! I'll let you know when the slate gets here and will supply cold beer of your choice...

:)

Ray

raybonz said:
Aaron Pasteris said:
raybonz said:
BeGreen said:
greythorn3 said:
Aaron Pasteris" date="1306863194 said:

Aaron

Ray

What is pfm?

Pure F___ing Magic

Aaron Pasteris said:
raybonz said:
Aaron Pasteris said:
raybonz said:
BeGreen said:
greythorn3" date="1306890653 said:
Aaron Pasteris" date="1306863194 said:

Aaron

Ray

What is pfm?

OIC been online over 20 yrs. and never heard of pfm before...

Ray

Pure F___ing Magic

I'm +1 on the dubious quality of some of the slate for sale out there. I've seen some real trash, usually imported from the East. When you are setting down an appliance like a woodstove that needs a dead level surface, you are asking for it if you use some of these products. Most of it is not of a "gauged" thickness. I don't know about you, but I'd have to kick the dog if I realized too late that I'd have to shim a leg on my stove. The varigated colors are really a nice look though, I'll grant you, and I've seen some entry foyers that are real eye catchers. But a hearth for a stove? I dunno about that.

We used that same slate from India last year. I would not do it again! I used 6 inch. Almost a quater of each box was bad. After we got enough good ones we replaced the pea green tile that was there. These tiles are flacking all the time. If we were going to live here forever I would have goten some real Vermont slate.

Ray, a neighbor owed me a bit so wanted to build our hearth and I let him; I just bought the materials except for the 2 x 4's which he had. The frame was all 2 x 4's, then 3/4 plywood followed by 2 layers of cement board and then ceramic tile. It worked out great.

Backwoods Savage said:
Ray, a neighbor owed me a bit so wanted to build our hearth and I let him; I just bought the materials except for the 2 x 4's which he had. The frame was all 2 x 4's, then 3/4 plywood followed by 2 layers of cement board and then ceramic tile. It worked out great.

Dennis I was thinking of the same but may place the hearth directly on the subfloor (undecided) then 2 layers of Durock then probably VT slate tile..

Ray

Can anyone tell me the R value of slate? Im trying to figure out what to do for a floor hearth too. Does anyone know if lowes or Home depot carry micore? Otherwise I gotta stack wonderboard. Stove Co. said I need R1 under stove. I have no clue except my wife doesnt want a raise trip hazzard. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.