Slate install ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
We are putting in a Woodstock Fireview into our existing fireplace later this summer. It's going to fit right on the current hearth nicely so we don't have to worry about anything directly under the stove but we do need to put something in front of the hearth. It's currently carpeted and we live on a slab so it's cement under the carpet. After removing the carpet what do you guys recommend as the best ways to install the slate? Is it as easy as I've read?

Thanks!

Frankly, if it is a big enough slab, you could just lay it down and forget it. If it is thinner, or in tiles, I'd mortar it. Yeah, it's dead simple.

Slate is a very simple install . . . but as Ploughboy said . . . if it's a big slab you probably wouldn't need anything to adhere the slab to the concrete slab . . . if it's tile I think a modified thinset should work well . . . of course removing the carpet is a given as you mentioned . . . if you are truly concerned or do not want to make a permanent hearth you could buy cement board (i.e. Durock) and apply slate tile to the cement board.

Thanks! It's slate tiles from a project that were left at my dad's estate. It's going to be permanent.

If the slate is to be tile with grouted joints, slate is naturally porous and will need to be sealed prior to grouting or you won't be able to get the grout haze off during final cleaning.

We want to be sure we know what material you are talking about here specifically Fireview. What some call "slate" is actually bluestone material, which is very porous, as noted. Polished true slate, a dark shale, is not so much. (Think of a blackboard) If you have bluestone, grout haze can be somewhat mitigated by clean up with phosphoric acid, which you can find at any tile supplier store. Thes best practice is to clean the pavers with plenty of clean water after you float in the grout lines, using an often rinsed/wrung sponge.

HMMMM, good question. I haven't looked at the tile that closely and it's 3hrs away. I'll have it down here soon and will check all of this out. Great info and things i never thought of. It's free so I can't beat the price.

How tall is you fireplace hearth? The Fireview only requires 8" front clearance and if the hearth is over 8" tall you can bring the stove right to the edge ithout extending the hearth if you want.

My chimney guy said that he wouldn't install without a firepad of some sort. Wife and I like the looks of it too. Plus it gives me something permanent in my house from my dad's place.

If you have smooth slate, don't go crazy with grout, and you won't have to worry about sealing. When I did my slate tile, I set them with straight thinset, I troweled the grout into the joints, and forced it in with a rubber float. Quick wipe down on the tile and finger smoothed the joints. If it is tile that has a lot of imperfections, sealing would probably be required. Plopping grout down everywhere is messy and requires the wiping. Troweling just enough grout is a little more time consuming but easier on the clean-up.

Slate is a great look and great choice. Good luck.

fireview2788 said:
My chimney guy said that he wouldn't install without a firepad of some sort. Wife and I like the looks of it too. Plus it gives me something permanent in my house from my dad's place.
Fireview, in my mind, that is good enough reason to use it! Hopefully one day you'll be telling your grandkids from whom and from where that tile came from. Good thinking.

Best wishes,
Ed

I laid down slate right on the basement slab floor. the pieces are about 10''x 20'' roughly with smaller ones to fill it out into a rectangle . the thing i notice is the tile is always cold. im seriously considering pulling it up this summer and laying down some type of board under the slate that will insulate from the cold slab below and allow the slate to heat up. im sure the pets would enjoy a warm slab to bask on. just thought id mention this as its definately not as warm like the main floor pad we bought. pete

I talked to my mom and got the specs of the box. Here's a link:

(broken link removed to http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&productId=202508381&R=202508381)

Status
Not open for further replies.