Single wall vs double wall stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackfre

Burning Hunk
Oct 3, 2011
N CA
So, with your cautions in mind, I have gone ahead with the purchase of the Encore. If this proves to be a lunk headed move, based upon the cautions some offered previously I will offer myself up as the primary, "I told you so" example. Again it is last years model in "sand" enamel. Last years version of Ivory, I guess. I may end up converting this stove purchase to the standard black because of the stove pipe options. My wife just informed me that we cannot have the light colored stove without matching stovepipe. I had planned on using the double wall pipe, for all of its advantages. Reduced clearance, heat retention in the pipe, stainless inner, warranty, etc.

My view on stove pipe runs perhaps a bit contrary to most folks heating with wood. I want to heat my space with the "wood stove". Yes, additional heating can be achieved off the single wall stove pipe, but at the cost of reducing the flue temps to the point where the low temperatures will allow the formation of creosote. Now, I've not run a cat stove before so perhaps I'm off on this, but I think not. What is your experience here?

On the reduced clearance issue I am certain that the double wall is correct. So many times over the years I or friends or customers have looked at a space and said, "Oh yeah, I can fit a stove in this "big" room". Then, once you account for the stove pipe clearance, the pipe, the stove and the hearth you end up having to do a doe-see-doe with the stove every time you walk thru the room. :)

Jackfre said:
So, with your cautions in mind, I have gone ahead with the purchase of the Encore. If this proves to be a lunk headed move, based upon the cautions some offered previously I will offer myself up as the primary, "I told you so" example. Again it is last years model in "sand" enamel. Last years version of Ivory, I guess. I may end up converting this stove purchase to the standard black because of the stove pipe options. My wife just informed me that we cannot have the light colored stove without matching stovepipe. I had planned on using the double wall pipe, for all of its advantages. Reduced clearance, heat retention in the pipe, stainless inner, warranty, etc.

My view on stove pipe runs perhaps a bit contrary to most folks heating with wood. I want to heat my space with the "wood stove". Yes, additional heating can be achieved off the single wall stove pipe, but at the cost of reducing the flue temps to the point where the low temperatures will allow the formation of creosote. Now, I've not run a cat stove before so perhaps I'm off on this, but I think not. What is your experience here?
Encore 2550 in cat mode will keep six foot of single wall above 212 °F with my setup.

On the reduced clearance issue I am certain that the double wall is correct. So many times over the years I or friends or customers have looked at a space and said, "Oh yeah, I can fit a stove in this "big" room". Then, once you account for the stove pipe clearance, the pipe, the stove and the hearth you end up having to do a doe-see-doe with the stove every time you walk thru the room. :)
Encore 2550 Manual page 14 Chimney Connector Clearance for a single wall pipe with heat shield installed adjacent to a wall with protector - 4" to combustible surface.

Hope this helps, but I realize the 2 in 1 is different than the 2550.

Status
Not open for further replies.