Single wall through a chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhawk2500

Sep 10, 2015
Monroe, NC
I'm am about to get a wood burning fireplace insert. I have a brick chimney already but wanting to install a liner. Do I really need double or triple walled pipe? Can I just use regular stainless steel pipe going up the chimney to a cap and all that other jazz up top? And by the way I am new to all this wood stove stuff and this is my first post on here.

Welcome. Inserts take different piping than freestanding stoves. Fireplace liners for inserts are single-wall. Usually they should be insulated with a blanket wrap. The liner can be rigid stainless pipe or flexible stainless pipe with the latter being more common.

Welcome to the forum!

No endorsement of company or particular product intended, just as an example what to look/ask for: http://www.chimneylinerdepot.com/store/5116/product/Flex-King-HD-Chimney-Liner-6X20-Insert-Kit.html The liner should be insulated for best performance and to make sure it is safe.
Don't forget to have the chimney swept before the liner gets installed and a block-off plate is highly recommended: https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/make-a-damper-sealing-block-off-plate/

X2

Thanks. After looking at the flex I think I'm gonna do that. The chimney is in the interior of the house. I am very budget minded so I just need to figure out if I really need to wrap it with insulation or not.

Thanks. After looking at the flex I think I'm gonna do that. The chimney is in the interior of the house. I am very budget minded so I just need to figure out if I really need to wrap it with insulation or not.
yes you do

Do you know for sure that your chimney has 2" clearance to combustibles on all sides? If not, it will only be code compliant when you insulate it.
Plus: Since the liner will stay in there for about 30 years do you really want to save a few hundred $ on something the safety of your home and your family depends on?

Btw. What insert are you installing?

Are you shopping for a liner or insert on Craigslist? I would be very careful with buying an used liner. You won't know how many chimney fires it has already seen. And if it is an insert, you would need to get really lucky to find something decent for $200.

Status
Not open for further replies.