single-wall multi-flue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rbphdc

Aug 20, 2024
Wellfleet, MA
Hi all, new construction, in MA. Three levels with some kind of wood-burner on each level. Hoping I can do a large straight-up masonry chimney with 3 separate single-wall flues inside, surrounded by minimum 2" Vermiculite all around. Any code reasons that might not be possible? Thx!

If the insulation meets code, I think it's allowed.

But you may get smoke sucked into another flue if you have a fire going in one.

Also, wood burners are not allowed in bedrooms, I believe (given the three levels remark). Moreover, I estimate you won't be carrying much wood up two flights of stairs... It's a lot of work.

My point is that you may be able to install three, but I think in 5 years you'll likely be looking back and say that was a waste of money.

Hi all, new construction, in MA. Three levels with some kind of wood-burner on each level. Hoping I can do a large straight-up masonry chimney with 3 separate single-wall flues inside, surrounded by minimum 2" Vermiculite all around. Any code reasons that might not be possible? Thx!
You could do that but it would be far more cost effective to run multiple insulated chimneys in a chase and finish as desired

Reactions: EbS-P