shutting down air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

joop

Minister of Fire
Aug 26, 2018
beauharnois ,quebec
just wondering,if i close air fully on my two stoves it smolders.could it be that new stove owners are doing the same and thinking somethings wrong?

When you say “shouldering “ is it producing a lot of smoke yo the chimney? What kind of stove are you burning in?

Are you watching your flue temps while reducing air? This is a great way along with watching the flames to fine tune your burn. Takes some trial and error.

The tricky thing I find with EPA stoves is if running proper you shouldn't be able to snuff it out with a full load like you could old stoves. Where I find it can lead to issues is when people don't know their stove to recognize they have an air leak and stove can start to run away.

Sounds like you're one of those people. I can shut the air all the way and my fire doesn't go out. How dry is your wood?

ur not getting the question.i'm talking about the people who buy new stoves and say the fire goes out. ;lol
Sounds like they are burning wet wood...

Lol this is about the worst breakdown of communication I've seen in a while.

Do you mean
  • that smoldering fire is ok
  • that beginner wood burners think their fire is out when it's really smoldering
  • That it's normal for the fire to go out when you close the air
  • ???

Reactions: Itslay90
Lol this is about the worst breakdown of communication I've seen in a while.

Do you mean
  • that smoldering fire is ok
  • that beginner wood burners think their fire is out when it's really smoldering
  • That it's normal for the fire to go out when you close the air
  • ???
😂😂😂😂😂