Should I go with a heavier liner? Pics of failed liner.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
Here is the story.
I installed a cheap liner of unknown origin before joining this forum and deciding to burn 24/7 in winter.
Its failed after 10 years. Probably even before that time but I noticed this year.
I knew it was failed and cheap but I was stunned how flimsy it was and by the fact that I was able to tear it with my own hands pulling out the chimney.
Now I'm thinking if I should go with the HomeSaver heavy-duty 0.16 liner instead of the medium-duty Hybrid.
Wondering if it's worth returning it and getting a new heavy-duty.
What is the approximate lifespan of a medium-duty Hybrid?

[Hearth.com] Should I go with a heavier liner? Pics of failed liner.[Hearth.com] Should I go with a heavier liner? Pics of failed liner.[Hearth.com] Should I go with a heavier liner? Pics of failed liner.[Hearth.com] Should I go with a heavier liner? Pics of failed liner.[Hearth.com] Should I go with a heavier liner? Pics of failed liner.[Hearth.com] Should I go with a heavier liner? Pics of failed liner.

If you sleep better, it's worth it...

The lifespan will be determined by how well the liner is cared for. I would expect a medium weight, .010 liner to be good for 15-20 yrs. If it is frequently seeing too high temps or chimney fires its life will be shorter.

Reactions: Dmitry
The lifespan will be determined by how well the liner is cared for. I would expect a medium weight, .010 liner to be good for 15-20 yrs. If it is frequently seeing too high temps or chimney fires its life will be shorter.
What would be your estimate for a heavy .016 Olympia liner?

bholler can answer that better, but I would expect 20-30 yrs. with proper care and stove operation. There is also rigid stainless liner at .025 (24ga). This gets joined with stainless pop-rivets.

Last edited:
if accessing the top of the chimney is easy/safe. I installed the rigid insulated duraliner system that is riveted together. Mines a tad longer than yours at about ~21 feet I had to go to oval route due to not being able to fit a round insulated liner. It has the flex piece at the bottom to go through the damper area . I did it all myself, it does cost a bit more obviously but worth it I think in the grand scheme of things.

Reactions: Dmitry
What would be your estimate for a heavy .016 Olympia liner?
We are starting to pull out a few heavy wall homesaver liners at 35 years. But many others are still perfectly fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: begreen
We are starting pulling out a few heavy wall homesaver liners at 35 years. But many others are still perfectly fine.
They've failed, or just starting to look iffy?

They've failed, or just starting to look iffy?
Failed. But those that have failed were on old stoves that put tons of heat in the chimney and had much higher chance of chimney fire. I really expect heavy wall to last quite a bit longer in most cases on modern stoves. And would expect midweight to last 25 to 30 years. Now that all depends on how it's treated. I have seen rigid that obviously had melted and wrinkled at the bottom after a few years of being abused.

Failed. But those that have failed were on old stoves that put tons of heat in the chimney and had much higher chance of chimney fire. I really expect heavy wall to last quite a bit longer in most cases on modern stoves. And would expect midweight to last 25 to 30 years. Now that all depends on how it's treated. I have seen rigid that obviously had melted and wrinkled at the bottom after a few years of being abused.
So you think midweight .010 can last 20 years if treated right? I'm on the verge of returning my Hybrid.and going with Homesaver roundflex. I'm going to be too old to install a new liner in 10 years.

So you think midweight .010 can last 20 years if treated right? I'm on the verge of returning my Hybrid.and going with Homesaver roundflex. I'm going to be too old to install a new liner in 10 years.
I typically use heavy wall if it's going to be a full time burner