Shasta Vent Double Wall Stainless Chimney pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
'
The Supervent is 304 Stainless Steel and 430 outer. The Shasta is 304 inner and 304 outer. 304 stainless is supposed to be better and more rust proof than 430 from my research. I guess the question is 304 from China worse than 430 from america? I would also be curious if American pipe builders purchase American or China steel? That would be hard to find out.
Or is what they are claiming is 304 even 304? There have been chinese chimney products in the past which were misrepresented.

Northlines chimney builder shows it as China.
Odd, this is what I see. They seem to be making a big deal about Made in USA.

Oh, now I see what you mean. Somebody messed up.

Or is what they are claiming is 304 even 304? There have been chinese chimney products in the past which were misrepresented.

Its definitely gonna get the magnet test when I get it. 430 = magnetic and 304 = non magnetic. Ill send the whole order back if looks like crap or something seems fishy.

Ill try and post up some pics when I get it and get the job finished. Found a 10% discount coupon from northline and made my order for even more savings!

Its definitely gonna get the magnet test when I get it. 430 = magnetic and 304 = non magnetic. Ill send the whole order back if looks like crap or something seems fishy.

Ill try and post up some pics when I get it and get the job finished. Found a 10% discount coupon from northline and made my order for even more savings!
I would think they would be smart enough to use a non magnetic alloy if they were being dishonest. As i said it may be a decent product i dont know. But i am not willing to take the risk. And regardless i prefer to support american manufacturing

It may end up being fine. Not everything from there is poor quality. It all depends on factory QC. I have a 1/2" Makita that I was dismayed when I found out it was made in China. They used to all be made in Japan. But I have worked that drill hard doing major projects over the years and it still is going strong.

Last edited:
FYI - Northline just contacted me and said they will forward this info to their web developers for correction.

What other brands have you worked with as a comparison? The problem i have with it is that lock. I have had it come apart while cleaning multiple times in different houses.
Duravent, Duraplus and Supervent. I am sure there is better out there if you want to spend double or triple for the same certifications.

Duravent, Duraplus and Supervent. I am sure there is better out there if you want to spend double or triple for the same certifications.
Yes much better the only thing that listing tells you is that it is safe. It says nothing about durability. For the record duraplus uses 430 inner wall and half the insulation. It is inferior to many others. In fact all of the dura products use 430 inner wall. No one else in the industry thinks 430 is adequate. I cant find what alloy super vent uses but like i said i dont find the locking mechanism adequate. It can be a big problem if it comes apart when enclosed in a chase when cleaned.

Last edited:
Supervent is 304 inner and 430 outter. I would be interested to see a rusted out 304 pipe. I have searched far and cant find any pics. When I used the Duravent and didnt like it. The pipe lock is crap. If you try to take a section off you end up unlocking the pipe at the support. If you dont pay attention you can twist the pipe past the lock and it will lift right off.

I am also curious what chimney line is double any of those 3

Supervent is 304 inner and 430 outter. I would be interested to see a rusted out 304 pipe. I have searched far and cant find any pics. When I used the Duravent and didnt like it. The pipe lock is crap. If you try to take a section off you end up unlocking the pipe at the support. If you dont pay attention you can twist the pipe past the lock and it will lift right off.
I will take some when i get to the shop.

With the sekirk stuff it is more about the crappy lock. 304 inner is just fine for wood. But nothing else oil gas or coal will eat it up.

I have actually worked in china in a steel process manufacturer there. I can say from 3 months of experience, it is not the same as US made items. The will say whatever gets them an advantage even if it is completely false and not truthful, as long as they look good. We ran some of the junkiest steel I have ever seen there and they called it there premium stuff. In the US we would have sent it to scrap it was so bad.

It was a real eye opener to me and very crazy. Not saying anything about this stove pipe because I have no experience with it. Just relaying my experience while I was there.

Reactions: bholler
If you ever saw any of the chinese made SS exhaust systems you would cringe. The welds are the worst ever made that is for certain. I dont know about the quality of the Shasta pipe. Never seen it.

I am also curious what chimney line is double any of those 3

I paid $87 for a 3' section of 6" Supervent, cash and carry. Where can I get your "good" stuff and how much? Then is there shipping? I too am curious.

I paid $87 for a 3' section of 6" Supervent, cash and carry. Where can I get your "good" stuff and how much? Then is there shipping? I too am curious.
I will pm you what i get ventis pipe for i am not allowed to make their pricing public. But i will say it isnt that much more.

Last edited:
We'll have to talk soon then..
I was gonna order the chimney stuff for this other stove soon..
Rather give you the business if your interested ??
Sure

Update.

New pipe is here and old pipe is out. The old support box is out and the new one is in with heat shield.

Here are some photos.

Old triple wall pipe

Shasta Vent Double Wall Stainless Chimney pipe? Shasta Vent Double Wall Stainless Chimney pipe? Shasta Vent Double Wall Stainless Chimney pipe?

New double wall shasta vent pipe

Shasta Vent Double Wall Stainless Chimney pipe? Shasta Vent Double Wall Stainless Chimney pipe? Shasta Vent Double Wall Stainless Chimney pipe?

Last edited by a moderator: