Setup stove pipe on a Jotul 118

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Soup

Sep 27, 2020
Where it gets cold
'ello,

Just looking for recommendations regarding pipe setup.....

Chimmney is greater that 16'..... It can accept 8" to the pipe adapter at the base of the chimmney.
Metal fab pipe........ in chase.....

What do I need to go from the jotul(which I believe is 5"?
I am not saying sizes........ of pipe...... in length... or fittings...

but, can I keep it 5" all the way up to the 8" adapter in the ceiling.....?????

what kind of piping options are there............ ???? do I just keep it single wall..... ?????

etc... etc.... etc.....

thanks, Soup

Welcome. Is this the original old F118 or the modern F118CB? Clearances are important, so we need to know which stove this is. Sounds like the older model, but I want to be sure. Is this going in where a zero clearance fireplace was removed? Can you describe what the stove is being connected to or post some pictures?

Last edited:
Welcome. Is this the original old F118 or the modern F118CB? Clearances are important, so we need to know which stove this is. Sounds like the older model, but I want to be sure. Is this going in where a zero clearance fireplace was removed? Can you describe what the stove is being connected to or post some pictures?

THanks!
No, it is not a Bear............ (old guys with the scenery setting on side)
I will have UL (internal)side plates.....
It would be nice to have/do ( some kind of heat shield upgrades-- if this is a possible modification)
No, zero clearance issues......... (like a 10'x10' space) house center concrete floor)
A stairwell which will disperse heat upwards and then there is two doors which will be on same level as stove
which will/can be open to dispurse hear on lower level.

The pipe in the chase.. which is in the ceiling is:::
TG MAX Temp Guard
https://www.mtlfab.com/index.php?pid=224&aid=569&pg=all-fuel+chimney+pipe+&+fittings

Let me know if you need to kno anything else
thanks, Soup

Normally one would use the Jotul 5" to 6" adapter and run 6" stovepipe to the ceiling, but if you prefer to run 5" all the way to the chimney support, that would be ok too. If the stovepipe run is greater than 8' it's recommended to use double-wall stovepipe to reduce creosote buildup from cooling down the flue gases too much.

Last edited: