Serenity door problem....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sytamra

Jul 7, 2017
New Mexico
I opened the door on my Castle Serenity to do a clean out and the screw that it hinges on fell out. The door slides onto a solid pin on the top, and the screw threads into the bottom to form a "hinge" on the bottom. Sounds like simply threading it back in and tightening it would be the order of the day, but I can't get the door-bracket-screw to line up!! For now, I just closed the door without the screw and everything seals up and the stove is operational. Anyone had any issues with this?
BA

unless the hinge somehow got tweaked the screw came out so with some patience should go back in.

It fell out?
When you shut it down again, take the door off and shine a flashlight into the door threads. Then if there are still threads in the door, see if you can thread the screw in while the door is off and upside down. It could be that if the screw fell out, that it had been right on the last thread for a little while and sort of buggered that last thread either in the door or on the screw or both. If the screw looks fine, but the door has an issue with the threads, take the screw with you to a hardware or tool store, or even a neighbor with tools if you dont have a tap and die set, and see if you can buy or borrow a thread tap to fix the threads. Likely a metric, so the diameter is only half the equation. You'll need to match the thread pitch as well.

or go to HW store get a package of screws that are one size larger or different thread. Use your drill or impact driver to force one in but do not over tighten, remove that screw and replace with a fresh. Iv used this method lots a sacrificial screw is cheaper than a tap if you do not have it. A dab of loctight will help it from vibrating out again

I opened the door on my Castle Serenity to do a clean out and the screw that it hinges on fell out. The door slides onto a solid pin on the top, and the screw threads into the bottom to form a "hinge" on the bottom. Sounds like simply threading it back in and tightening it would be the order of the day, but I can't get the door-bracket-screw to line up!! For now, I just closed the door without the screw and everything seals up and the stove is operational. Anyone had any issues with this?
BA
Had the same issue--I found the bottom of the door had an insert that looks like a carrier for the door that the pin screws into--reinstalled it and tightened the heck outa it--no more issues so far---good luck--

or go to HW store get a package of screws that are one size larger or different thread. Use your drill or impact driver to force one in but do not over tighten, remove that screw and replace with a fresh. Iv used this method lots a sacrificial screw is cheaper than a tap if you do not have it. A dab of loctight will help it from vibrating out again
Absolute last resort. See what is wrong first.

Taps aren't that expensive and using one gives you a chance to find out your thread type and learn a bit about machining. Gotta try in order to learn.

Reactions: Ssyko