Morso 7110 door removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bobde1234

Oct 30, 2019
Michigan
I’ve recently acquired a Morso 7110 stove, and I need to do some repairs on it - replace rope seals, new door glass, and repaint. My first challenge is setting the door off. The manual tells me to remove 2 tiny set screws that fix the door hinge pins. They are 4mm o.d., and use a 2mm hex key, and seem to be rusted in place. Over the past 2 weeks ive soaked the threads (as little as I can see) with pb blaster, I’ve applied some general heat with a torch, several times, and used a small punch to tap the screws to induce some vibration. I’m being patient so I don’t wreck anything but I’m losing hope I can free these little screws up. Has anyone taken the door off their Morso 7110 to verify I’m on the right track here? Thanks

Keep at it! You may end up drilling and retapping, but I hope you are able to work them loose.

Order up some left handed drill bits. Frequently when you start drilling that will loosen them up

I can’t apply too much torque the hex size is too small. Hopefully enough heat cycles and pb blaster will finally do it.
Good news! Today I gave it another try with the propane torch, pb blaster, and tapping a small torx t092 into the setscrew, and a little loosening torque. And one broke free! At first I thought the screwdriver slipped, but nope, it was free! So on the other hinge, I have a bit more heat, and it also released. After that it was very easy to take the hinge pins out, and get the door off. Man, I’m so glad these came out.

A little never seeze on them before they go in will make them removable in the future

Last edited:
Time is the hardest input in trying to get those things out! Let us know how the rest of the project goes!

Time is the hardest input in trying to get those things out! Let us know how the rest of the project goes!
In the end I think a few things helped me. First, hitting the area with a propane torch for longer than I thought originally (like 3 minutes rather than 30 seconds), and when it was cooling, spraying some pb blaster which I think wicked into the threads better when warm. Also, I tapped a t092 torx screwdriver into the 2mm hex of the grub screw. This seemed to grip much better than a hex key. On exam, the set screws weren’t corroded at all. I think I’ll probably use copper anti size when I put it together.