Seeking Advice/Info about my concrete chimney liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jackieearl

Dec 14, 2018
Virginia
Hi everyone, first time poster here. I would like to use what looks to me to be a "cast in place chimney liner" for a wood stove set up in my basement. There is a clay liner to the right and left of it(breezway, and fireplace) then the 6" poured concrete flue line Im inquiring about. It was originally used for a boiler exhaust for an oil furnace. (Which hasnt been used in a while.) Truth be told i have used it a handful of times with a small pot belly wood stove, but then my brain kicked in and I realized well Im not sure if this it safe or right! My hope is to connect something like a jotul F5 in the basement and heat the house 24/7 in the winter months. I would just throw a ss liner down it, but it is dead on 6 inches and i don't see that happening.

Its about a 25 foot run. Its basically an exterior chimney, but not fully, it runs down an unheated but closed in breezeway. it T's into an 8 clay liner where it comes out of the cinderblock basement wall with cleanout below. I haven't seen much info on this, but this article led me to believe it is safe, and would be way to expensive to do now adays! http://www.chimneysweepbaltimore.com/chimney-relining-installation-cost/ Thank you, would love to hear some insights on here!

Attachments

• Seeking Advice/Info about my concrete chimney liner
    IMG_5427.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 117
    IMG_5429.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 142
    IMG_5431.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 140
    IMG_5432.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 128
    IMG_5434.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 124
    IMG_5435.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 127
Hi everyone, first time poster here. I would like to use what looks to me to be a "cast in place chimney liner" for a wood stove set up in my basement. There is a clay liner to the right and left of it(breezway, and fireplace) then the 6" poured concrete flue line Im inquiring about. It was originally used for a boiler exhaust for an oil furnace. (Which hasnt been used in a while.) Truth be told i have used it a handful of times with a small pot belly wood stove, but then my brain kicked in and I realized well Im not sure if this it safe or right! My hope is to connect something like a jotul F5 in the basement and heat the house 24/7 in the winter months. I would just throw a ss liner down it, but it is dead on 6 inches and i don't see that happening.

Its about a 25 foot run. Its basically an exterior chimney, but not fully, it runs down an unheated but closed in breezeway. it T's into an 8 clay liner where it comes out of the cinderblock basement wall with cleanout below. I haven't seen much info on this, but this article led me to believe it is safe, and would be way to expensive to do now adays! http://www.chimneysweepbaltimore.com/chimney-relining-installation-cost/ Thank you, would love to hear some insights on here!
It should be fine for a wood stove. But I would have it inspected by a chimney pro to be sure

Reactions: Jackieearl