School me on some wood I.D.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quantity?

It's free. One cannot divide by zero. Load that sheet up and ask questions later.

Ok so the holidays threw me off on getting the pic up quickly.

When I went back things had been moved around a bit and I could not find that same log .
I did get a few pics of what I thought looked similar to the #2 pic Split open though.

well call this Split A
School me on some wood  I.D.

and split B

Your leaving out where this is :p

Dads truck would be full already.

It is pretty safe where it is at my brothers lot except for my nephew takes a small load here and there for him and his buddies to have fires.
we haven't paid to dump since we got the lot we can push what we need to down the hill into the woods like fill.
Customers and most people we know aren't shown where the lot is.

We usually pile the logs in a spot where we can load up logs for our fire pits and a couple times a year rent a splitter to split and sell some firewood to our customers.
Sometimes it gets sold to the people that paid us to remove the trees and usually shortly after being split, we didn't know better and only a few of our customers burn and the ones that do are not burning for heat and don't know or care about the M.C.
They just want a small fire in their back patio fire pit.

We have a few relationships with tree services as well due to the larger more precarious trees we need dropped periodically, this coming season I think I will see if I can't get a few loads of wood dumped on our lot for free.

I feel like I have a lot of wood to gather for me to be like 3 years ahead!

Split A: cherry, old, dead cherry

Your favorite, Ralphie!

What is #2? Looks like Maple with that white inside, but I've seen that brown inner stripe in Hickory too....looks like a Maple more though to me?

Thanks for the pictures Pat ;)

Oh yeah, love that cherry. Hey PA. the caretaker at the horse farm next door to me has a big cherry he wants me to take down! Enough in that to give me 2 years of shoulder season burning. The owner of the farm is in town for the holidays and likes is privacy so I won't cut it for another week or so, depending on the weather conditions.

I'd go for maple as well

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
This piece looks to be Ash then because of the "pin hole" in the middle.

And this bit is possibly some Ash that was dead longer ? Since I am not sure I will call this unknown wood 1 unless you guys can advise what it is and why.

Now this does not have the pin hole type middle so I am unsure of what this is so I will call it unknown wood 2 unless you guys can advise what it is and why.
Maybe it is the silver maple with the shaggy type bark Ralphie boy mentioned.

This forum is amazing I am learning a lot from it!
1 is white ash , 2 is black cherry 3 is silver maple

Oh yeah, love that cherry. Hey PA. the caretaker at the horse farm next door to me has a big cherry he wants me to take down! Enough in that to give me 2 years of shoulder season burning. The owner of the farm is in town for the holidays and likes is privacy so I won't cut it for another week or so, depending on the weather conditions.

I'd go for maple as well

Sweet deal! Funny how we luck into these things sometimes, isn't it?

Reactions: Ralphie Boy
Status
Not open for further replies.