School me on some wood I.D.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Matterson

Nov 13, 2013
Stl,
We got this pile at my brothers lot I can try and snag some of for free and or wait until he has his guys split it (rented splitter) and get it pretty cheap.

Either way I would like to start learning how to find " The good stuff" so I can start squirreling it away to dry for a few years.

Here is the pile, what do you think it is and what quantity would you guess it is split and stacked.

School me on some wood  I.D.

There is another much smaller pile behind the shed that looks to be the same type of wood.

Reactions: Soundchasm
I'm bad at guessing wood in pile but I'd say 2-2.5 cords. Whats cheap? Renting a splitter will cost you $65/day so if I could get that pile split for less than $100 I'd do it.

Reactions: Pat Matterson
Looks like ash but there also appears to be maybe silver maple in there as well; but the rounds are too far away for me to be sure. The rounds with the somewhat shaggy bark are the ones that look like silver maple. I burn a lot of silver maple, mostly during the day and save my ash and oak for overnight and very cold weather burns. 2 short days with a maul or 2 long days with a sledge and wedges. And when you finish you'll feel soooooo much better! Or rent a splitter and be done in half a day. Also, it looks like some of those rounds are in need of their length being trimmed a bit to fit into a stove. How much is there? All I can say for sure is: "Wow! slotta wood, wish it were mine!==c

Okay kids, here is your first lesson in tree identification. Remember this acronym MAD Horse. This acronym refers to the only species of deciduous trees with opposite branching: Maple, Ash, Dogwood and HORSEchestnut. These species include all their sub-species such as box elder, red maple, white, green, blue and black ash. Now children please look these species up in you "Trees of North America" field guide to see what their leaves, buds and bark look like for a positive identification. Also remember that all species of white oak have leaves with rounded tips and all red oak species have leaves with pointed tips. You can also find the oaks in your field guide so you can study their bark, buds and fruit (acorns) for a positive identification of each sub-species. Now kids, go forth into the woods with your field guide and learn well because there will be a test on Friday, just in time for your Christmas Break! Merry Christmas and happy tree hunting! Class dismissed!;lol()

Last edited:
Sounds like free wood to me, so it all is good, just some will be better. :) The pile seems to carry on quite a bit in the back there, my guess is 5 cords.

Wood id is something that takes a bit of practice. It can take years to get good at it. You need to learn the discerning characteristic of each species and that can be either how it feels, it's density, the bark/leaves/fruit/appearance of the cut end/splits, specific bug damage or even smell. On some species like red/silver/maple the easiest thing to learn from is the leaves/seeds and then carry that onto identifying rounds by the less obvious characteristics of the bark. To complicate it the same species can also have a radical different looking bark based on age and size and even from tree to tree. Once you have handled enough wood you will just know what it is. For what you got there, get some close up shots of the bark and cut ends and ask for people to explain why they are saying what it is. Pointing out the primary feature to id by will get you started at being able to do it yourself. It does look like you have some ash up front there.

I see ash. I'm no expert at all but i am pretty sure ash. Look for that white "pin hole" in middle School me on some wood  I.D.

This piece looks to be Ash then because of the "pin hole" in the middle.

And this bit is possibly some Ash that was dead longer ? Since I am not sure I will call this unknown wood 1 unless you guys can advise what it is and why.

Now this does not have the pin hole type middle so I am unsure of what this is so I will call it unknown wood 2 unless you guys can advise what it is and why.
Maybe it is the silver maple with the shaggy type bark Ralphie boy mentioned.

This forum is amazing I am learning a lot from it!

Photo number three looks to be soft maple, either red or silver.

Got me on the middle picture. It isn't ash. It looks like the bark has rotted off leaving some very solid wood beneath. Probably very good wood.

The first stuff is primarily ash. The stuff in the last pic is maple (soft).

In order, I would say ash, cherry, maple

Reactions: Kool_hand_Looke
You know, the second one might actually be red oak..
Just checked the wood pile and looks just like a large red oak branch I cut up not too long ago. Strike the cherry guess!

Your leaving out where this is :p

Dads truck would be full already.

The second pic is red oak, and the third is a type of maple but I'm not sure which.

Do I see a little bit of barkless mulberry in the background?

Looks like 2 cords of good mixed cold weather wood, might want to set aside those punky ones in a dry place and use next fall. Be sure to post up pictures when you got em split and stacked. Got any pallets?

Ash, WALNUT, Soft Maple.

The second one, the "unknown #2" as you called it, split open a piece of that and post it please; something about it looks like Black Locust to me.....

The second one, the "unknown #2" as you called it, split open a piece of that and post it please; something about it looks like Black Locust to me.....

Any chance of this happening Pat? I really would like to see what that unknown # 2 looks like inside just to satisfy my curiousity!

Looks like 2 cords of good mixed cold weather wood, might want to set aside those punky ones in a dry place and use next fall. Be sure to post up pictures when you got em split and stacked. Got any pallets?

I do have pallets I get by the trailer load that I have started stacking some wood I have been buying locally since it is my first season and I have no dry wood at all..

I am new enough that Idk what "punky" wood is though I do have an idea from all the reading I have been doing on here.

Any chance of this happening Pat? I really would like to see what that unknown # 2 looks like inside just to satisfy my curiousity!

I should be able to run by there this evening !

Last edited:
Yep, pics of some split wood would help. Based on the first pics, White Ash, unknown #1 could be some old Red (Slippery) Elm...decent wood, and looks really dry. Unknown #2, I'll go along with the soft Maple guess.

Does look like a few unsplits that I got in a delivery of black locust. This stuff has been laying on the ground for 25 years prior to being cut and splits a couple weeks ago!!

Status
Not open for further replies.