SBI products

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hoytman

Minister of Fire
Jan 6, 2020
Ohio
I'm not sure about Osburn, but with Drolet, I am thoroughly impressed by their options, and mostly impressed by their accessories and parts, and the price of those parts.

The more I look at Drolet, and replacement cost of parts, build quality of their products, the more I am impressed. I'm sure Osburn stoves are quality products.

For a long time I had been looking at higher end stoves like Harmon, BK, Lopi, and Jotul, etc., but the more I look at SBI products the more impressed I become...especially after doing a lot of searching and reading of reviews and comparing the cost versus the cost of those I mentioned above. I'm going to try and learn a little more about the Osburn products as well. My wife liked the Drolet Myriad II and I almost bought a new one. The only issue I have with the Myriad III is they moved the door opening to the left side. Looks like the Osburns still open on the right side, which is more convenient for my situation.

Interestingly enough, 3 days ago I just brought home a nice used Lopi Liberty. I know it's too big, but it was too nice and too cheap to pass up. I do wish it was an Endeavor, but strangely enough I'd be just as satisfied with a new Myriad III with the door on the side I need it, or an Osburn.

How large an area are you heating? Is this an open floor plan or is the stove in a room somewhat closed off with doorways?

1300 sq ft at the moment...open shaped "L" (Living room, dining, and kitchen) with two bedrooms off one end, and another bedroom and bath separated from the main room. Hearth is in the center of the living/dining area (32'x 13') with inside the home masonry chimney 15' up from stove top and coming out 3' above peak of the roof. An optimum chimney location.

Vinyl siding on the home, walls not insulated the best, ceiling supposedly had more insulation blown in by my grandparents back about 20 years ago, but I haven't been up there to see it. Replacement windows in the home are about 20 years old, but there are two large windows in the living area. I'm talking 2-5'x7' windows. House is a bit leaky. I need to have a "manual J" audit done by our energy supplier to measure heat loss of the home.

I'm not sure about Osburn, but with Drolet, I am thoroughly impressed by their options, and mostly impressed by their accessories and parts, and the price of those parts.

The more I look at Drolet, and replacement cost of parts, build quality of their products, the more I am impressed. I'm sure Osburn stoves are quality products.

For a long time I had been looking at higher end stoves like Harmon, BK, Lopi, and Jotul, etc., but the more I look at SBI products the more impressed I become...especially after doing a lot of searching and reading of reviews and comparing the cost versus the cost of those I mentioned above. I'm going to try and learn a little more about the Osburn products as well. My wife liked the Drolet Myriad II and I almost bought a new one. The only issue I have with the Myriad III is they moved the door opening to the left side. Looks like the Osburns still open on the right side, which is more convenient for my situation.

Interestingly enough, 3 days ago I just brought home a nice used Lopi Liberty. I know it's too big, but it was too nice and too cheap to pass up. I do wish it was an Endeavor, but strangely enough I'd be just as satisfied with a new Myriad III with the door on the side I need it, or an Osburn.
I just bought the osburn 2300 for the exact reason ,the door opening on the right.sbi has great customer.service and even got back to me on a sunday.they are better quality than the drolet.even though made in the same factory.

Last edited:
For 1300 sq ft the big Drolet/Osburn may be a bit overkill unless the house is poorly insulated. In the least maybe consider the Legend, which has side shielding. This will reduce side radiance and clearances.

You mentioned the Legend. Ok...need to look at the specs again on that one. I spent a lot of time looking at the Myriad II, but ultimately decided against it because the two I looked at had wobbly doors in the hinge are that I wasn't sure about. Which "big" Drolet were you referring to besides the Legend or comparable Osburn? Haven't looked at enough Osburns to know which cross reference with the Drolets.

The Myriad/Legend/Austral all are the same stove in different trim. The HT2000/HT3000 are the other large stoves in the Drolet stable.

Yep...was aware some had same firebox...and aware of the HT2000/3000, wasn't sure if there were models in-between that you may have been referring or if you were referring to some in the Osburn line...which I imagine are also the same fireboxes with the outsides being different with trim packages.

Their medium-sized stoves are also good heaters, but I am not a fan of the shallower firebox. Which brings up the question. If you already have a 3 cu ft Liberty, why are you looking to replace it? If it's in good shape, I'd run that for a season. It's a well-made stove.

Running a Hitzer 354 coal stove currently. No plans to remove it until I find a wood stove that suits me. The only reason the Hitzer is in the house is I can run it fairly low. Not quite low enough for the shoulder season, but I can burn short hot wood fires in it also, so I'm good there. The wood stove it replaced was a giant, the Solarwood I mentioned in another thread.

I bought the Hitzer in near new condition for a song. So cheap I dare not pass it up. I knew is was too big for the entire burning season, but if I may just be able to extend my chimney a little more for even lower coal burning temps, or just burn some short hot wood fires in it. The 254 or 30-95 would likely fit my house better as I could run them in 400-425 range. Currently with the bigger 354 stove I run about 300-345 when it's really cold. Temps above 40 I'm running it down to 275 sometimes to 220. Can't do that with the wood. The Solarwood with wood coals in it and 3 splits at 0F-10F the house would be 90F...much too hot. That sucker puts some heat out at only a 450F stove top temp.

I wanted an Endeavor, but this Liberty, like the Hitzer, was the right price and I couldn't pass on it. I still think it's too big, maybe not, but I think my first hunch is correct...too big. I can always use a stove in my shop when and if I find the right one.

That is what I liked about the Myriad, was it's 500sq ft - 2100 sq ft range. I'd likely never run it that low, but also never likely run that hard either. It seemed like the perfect range...when you're guestimating.

I have stoves a similar size and so far the Hitzer, as I expected because of physical size, with a nice fire in it has also proven to be too big. Sort of figured that going into it, but now it is is confirmed. The coal option makes it more usable and my ability to change fuels depending on price. I can sell the Hitzer and the Liberty (after I try it), not be hurt money wise, be more educated about a "new" stove purchase as to what physical size will better suit me rather than spend my money and be disappointed. Plus, I like to tinker...

Their medium-sized stoves are also good heaters, but I am not a fan of the shallower firebox. Which brings up the question. If you already have a 3 cu ft Liberty, why are you looking to replace it? If it's in good shape, I'd run that for a season. It's a well-made stove.
I hear you on the shallow fire box. I like a box that allows me the flexibility to burn e/w or n/s. I also like a little bigger stove than I need, but not a giants like I have which are working best when it’s near zero. A medium low burn to medium burn means a longer stove life as far as I'm concerned.

IF none of these modern stoves suit me I'm going to stick with the coal stove and a get me good old Fisher. I don't remind replacing some innards every now and then as long as the main stove body doesn't fall apart. I doubt the Liberty ever falls apart, or the Hitzer, as both remind me of Fishers.

Last edited:
I've got an Osburn stove, the build quality is quite good and their online parts store is awesome. I've also had a few conversations with tech support and their people know their stoves. There are definitely other good stove makers out there, but I like modern looking stoves and IMO the Osburn Matrix and Inspire look better than the competition.

Reactions: marty319
I wanted an Endeavor, but this Liberty, like the Hitzer, was the right price and I couldn't pass on it. I still think it's too big, maybe not, but I think my first hunch is correct...too big. I can always use a stove in my shop when and if I find the right one.

That is what I liked about the Myriad, was it's 500sq ft - 2100 sq ft range. I'd likely never run it that low, but also never likely run that hard either. It seemed like the perfect range...when you're guestimating.
The Myriad is not going to be able to run lower than the Liberty. These are both tube secondary stoves.

I understand how the stoves function with secondary air. I just assumed the Drolet could burn a little lower since it was rated down to 500 sq ft ... maybe it was 800 ... don’t recall. Many posts I read here yesterday searching the forum said the Liberty’s tend to run hot and often times have little control, some users reported. Obviously, not all posters made that claim, but the comments were unlike those I’d seen before elsewhere, so it had me a little concerned. One poster even said he removed two screws from the air control mechanism and that enabled him to total control over his burn to the point of completely closing the air supply to both primary and secondary. I had never heard this about them, no control, burning hot, or about the two screws, so I guess you learn something everyday if you try hard enough.

That said, I hope you are right about the Liberty. I sure do appreciate your input.

You will see all sorts of stuff posted. That doesn't make it right or even true. Some people do not understand how a secondary combustion stove works. Some just want it to smolder like the old smoke dragon they are replacing it with. Others have bought too large a stove. Most people come here with a problem, whether real or perceived. We get over a dozen complaints a year from people complaining the air control on their (often new) stove doesn't work. It always turns out that the air control is fine, but something else is not, wet wood and poor draft being the most common problems.

Reactions: Hoytman

I am going with an Osburn. I can’t wait! I looked at everything on the market and came to the conclusion that SBI products were right for me and my needs. I have many reasons for my final decision and I could not agree with you more.

Reactions: Hoytman
I am going with an Osburn. I can’t wait! I looked at everything on the market and came to the conclusion that SBI products were right for me and my needs. I have many reasons for my final decision and I could not agree with you more.
Which model? How many sq ft you heating?

I just bought the osburn 2300 for the exact reason ,the door opening on the right.sbi has great customer.service and even got back to me on a sunday.they are better quality than the drolet.even though made in the same factory.

Got to disagree with you there. Same factory, same steel. same welders, same fireboxes. Check the weights of comparable stoves. The difference is primarily the door, legs/pedestal, and markup. I have owned both and the built quality is the same.

Got to disagree with you there. Same factory, same steel. same welders, same fireboxes. Check the weights of comparable stoves. The difference is primarily the door, legs/pedestal, and markup. I have owned both and the built quality is the same.
So do you dislike their stoves?

Maybe I had an enviro 1700 kodiak before this osburn and it was much better quality but that said enviro just terrible to get parts for and looks like sbi is going to be much better.

Which model? How many sq ft you heating?
I have decided on the 3300. I am heating 1800 sq. ft. In central Wisconsin. I consider brand reputation, customer service, parts replacement availability and cost, ease of maintenance, over all cost, number of gaskets, ash system, cook top and more. This is only a partial list. Most manufacturers have come out with new, unproven designs as well.

Reactions: marty319