Say is ani't so A new low water mark in stupidity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

Got a call from a state inspector today It seems someone started a fire in an Electric fireplace,
The new owner of the home took out the electrical components of the electric fireplace and started a fire with wood.
He never checked to see if it was vented Got a decent fire going, which spread to the wall where the electric fireplace was located
Knodos to the fire Dept response they saved the home and limiting the damage. Mostly heavy smoke damage no structural.

My nonimation for the hearth darwin awards

It did not happen in my town but a few towns away

Makes those posts about "can I burn wood in my gas fireplace" look kinda tame doesn't it?

elkimmeg said:
Got a call from a state inspector today It seems someone started a fire in an Electric fireplace,
The new owner of the home took out the electrical components of the electric fireplace and started a fire with wood.
He never checked to see if it was vented Got a decent fire going, which spread to the wall where the electric fireplace was located
Knodos to the fire Dept response they saved the home and limiting the damage. Mostly heavy smoke damage no structural.

OMG!!!!!!! I cn't believe that !!!! lollolololol It sounds like a joke you are playing on us!!!! lol I know its not supposed to be funny but I can't help but laugh......

I can't believe it

He definitely deserves some kind of award!!! lolololol
The new owner of the home took out the electrical components of the electric fireplace and started a fire with wood

iceman said:
elkimmeg said:

OMG!!!!!!! I cn't believe that !!!! lollolololol It sounds like a joke you are playing on us!!!! lol I know its not supposed to be funny but I can't help but laugh......

I can't believe it

He definitely deserves some kind of award!!! lolololol
The new owner of the home took out the electrical components of the electric fireplace and started a fire with wood
Let's just hope he doesn't have kids, as that kind of stupidity can run in families. :cheese:

I'm prety much a straight forward type of guy. I don't think I could be creative enough to fabricate such a story

BB and others on the forum could but not me. It's so bizzare it would be hard to fabricate. GVA just like seeing a chimney without a cap one could not make that up

I have actually wondered when some fool would do something like that with one of those little plastic Dimpler or whatever they are called free standing electrics.

Its like ..........HELLO!?, anybody home?
< as knocking on there forehead >

I know its not supposed to be funny but I can’t help but laugh

:lol: Yeah it is! I mean, come on, Iceman- have you ever wondered, geez god put that there idiot on this earth just to make my day! WADR I would really be choking down the laughter if he actually killed someone with his stupidity. but we got a freebee here so LOL, people laugh at me all the time...ut oh ... I see a trend here......

Did you have to go there elk? get there and say..." This has to be the stupidest thing I've ever seen!!" Although some of the installs you've described are pretty bad too.

elkimmeg said:

Ya know, this puts me in mind of Seaken's proposed idea of the dealers checking on customers....

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/4746/

I know, I know, tongue in cheek! The most user-friendly heat, electricity, and some folks cant even handle that! maybe this guy should be living in a cave, somewhere near the equator!

Hey elk!?!?!? YOU MADE MY NIGHT WITH THAT STORY!!! I told my lady ... and we both laughed the night away!!! that was the funniest thing i have heard in the last who knows...... i can just imagine how you felt being an inspector......:) ( just scratching your head)

I found out today there was a little more to the story. The electric fireplace was installed into a real masonry fireplace. No not my town to do inspection in , I think district state inspector called me just for, do you want to take a ride and see this. Like most here ,I did not have time for it, I have a few remodeling jobs going.

elkimmeg said:
I'm prety much a straight forward type of guy. I don't think I could be creative enough to fabricate such a story

BB and others on the forum could but not me. It's so bizzare it would be hard to fabricate. GVA just like seeing a chimney without a cap one could not make that up

Hey!!!! I resemble that remark.

LOL... and glad I can laugh about it now...

-Dan

elkimmeg said:
I found out today there was a little more to the story. The electric fireplace was installed into a real masonry fireplace. No not my town to do inspection in , I think district state inspector called me just for, do you want to take a ride and see this. Like most here ,I did not have time for it, I have a few remodeling jobs going.

For the love of hearth.com, go get some pictures!

tradergordo said:
elkimmeg said:

Pics or a link to the news story / police report would be great.
What town was this in? When did it happen?

tradergordo said:
elkimmeg said:

OH yeah!!! go get pics please!!!!!!!

iceman said:
tradergordo said:
elkimmeg said:

OH yeah!!! go get pics please!!!!!!!
Does he have a woodpile out back? get pics
Although I don't think anyone here would want him to join..... We could have some fun with him......
Q: What are ya burnin'?
A: my walls

Q: Have you hit secondary burn yet?
A: No the fire never made it to the second floor

Q: What's your flue temp?
A: I don't know........... I did get a flu shot this year so I hope I don't have to find out.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think the town is either Blaskstone or Millvile I did not go to the frire. As an inspector, anything under investigation, I could not post pictures anyways
I do not know if they publish a weekly paper This is two towns away. It is just happens to be one of the towns covered by our district inspector. Really we share no main or secondary routes
with this town. Very little contact with Blackstone or Millvile

Another reason you should have to apply for a permit to procreate!

Yeah, that was a dumb move, but I've heard of worse...

I occasionally do deep fried turkeys, with the big pot and mega burner setup. This has led to my hearing some amazing stories from folks that sell the gear, all of which comes with LARGE PRINT warnings to only use it outside. Best was one ethical salesman who said he would ask would be customers about where they were going to be using the gear - had one customer that expressed the intent to do his cooking in the living room of his PENTHOUSE apartment, said the customer got really mad when the salesman refused to sell him the stuff on the grounds that he wasn't smart enough to fry a turkey :p

I think the record stupidity number that I've been close to was when I went to an Am-Jam motorcycle rally several years back. It was a colder than normal weekend and this led to a tragedy at the rally, when a group decided they were going to keep warm by sleeping in one of their members vans, along with their charcoal hibachi. No surprise, I think it was two dead, one vegetable. Of course you wouldn't expect a bunch of NYC FIREMEN to be aware of the dangers posed by smoke inhalation and carbon monoxide from fires in enclosed spaces! :sick: (This was several years before 9/11 BTW)

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.