Saw the oil man delivering to the neighbors today.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMMA RAY

Minister of Fire
Jan 16, 2011
PA.
and sooooo glad they are not delivering to me!!!!!!!!!!!!! The oil gauge is holdin steady at half and has been for about a month now. Success!!!!!

:) :) :)
;)
Nice, eh?

You know it..........

Yes...........I was a fool to even contemplate it. I can't believe the stove top temps.......We thought the temp gauge on the stove top was not working on the old stove because it never went above 300 degrees. On this mother it goes to 600 and we can't believe the heat.........................I am going to cook some pulled pork or something on it....got to utilize the heat.

gamma ray,

So how much wood and what type have you burned? What is #2 heating oils selling for in NE PA? I think it is over $3 a gal in North Central NJ... not far from you I'd guess. Are up near Allentown?

It is pretty easy to beat the cost of heating with Oil if one pays less than $250 a cord for hardwood. I run a geothermal heat pump for my basic heating, that is competitive with wood heat, and a lot easier. I may burn 1.5 cords of well seasoned hardwood, the stuff burns almost like anthracite (PA) coal, yeh, a bit more flame but still long and hot....nice stuff.

Papadave, I'd guess you are on softwood in Alaska, I need to cozy up to that idea I have a bunch of White Pine on my property... and some aging for a couple of years. I guess well aged pine burns well, but a bit faster than HW.

How long will it be before the "cap and trade" bunch finds some way to tax our fire wood? Most of what I use is off of my property, property nearby or cash-and-carry from a wood delivery guy... they'll have a lot of work to figure out how to catch that and tax it.

Haha, Jerry, I think you have me confused with someone else. I'm in Michigan, and although I burn some spruce (plan to use more next year), most of my wood for the next 3 years is oak.

Jerry_NJ said:
gamma ray,

So how much wood and what type have you burned? What is #2 heating oils selling for in NE PA? I think it is over $3 a gal in North Central NJ... not far from you I'd guess. Are up near Allentown?

It's about $3.40 a gallon over hear.I'm about 45 minutes south of Allentown and an hour and a half north of Philly.

PapaDave said:
Haha, Jerry, I think you have me confused with someone else. I'm in Michigan, and although I burn some spruce (plan to use more next year), most of my wood for the next 3 years is oak.

You're probably thinking of bogydave, Jerry.

I am from the Wilkes-barre, Scranton area. We have been burning oak, ash and some maple. As for how many cords we have burned, I would have to ask my husband since I am not sure. I would guess 3 cords maybe??? I am still learning so I am not really sure how much is in a cord. The oil here I think is about 3.25 a gallon but I have not ordered any lately so I can't say for sure.

Yes, Doylestown, a neighbor. I am just North of Flemington NJ... I had heart surgery in 2007 at the Doylestown Heart Institute. They did a great job. Scranton - still close enough to be a neighbor, and the same type of wood supply. My comment/question on softwood was for Alaska, I assume there are no hardwood way up North.

A cord is a lot of wood, a good seasoned hardwood it is enough to produce about 24 million BTUs (hope I remember right) that's the equivalent of about 200 gallons of oil (or $600+ for oil). Most new oil furnaces are more efficien0t than wood stoves, but even if the wood stove is only 70% efficient (here I assume both draw outside air in to feed the flames) wood is much cheaper than oil. A cord is defined as 128 cubic feet. 8'x4'x4' stack.

Status
Not open for further replies.